TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Charles Arden Russell Papers, 1839-1935
Lawyer, judge, and politician Charles Arden Russell (1822-1878) was the son of Daniel and Sarah "Sally" (Hicks) Russell. Raised in New York, he moved to Michigan in 1837 and enlisted in the U.S. Army three years later. First stationed at Fort Monroe, Virginia, Russell transferred to Corpus Christi, Texas, in 1845. The next year, he left the army and in 1847 married Emeline Brightman, with whom he had eight children. The family lived in Goliad, where Russell was tax assessor and postmaster, before moving to Helena in 1853. The next year, he was elected Karnes County surveyor and in 1855 began practicing law. A delegate to the Secession Convention in 1861, Russell served as a major in the Confederate Army. Returning to Karnes County, he became county judge in 1866, before opening a law firm in St. Mary’s around 1870.
Connor, Seymour V. "Russell, Charles Arden."Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed February 23, 2011. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fru18.
Neubauer, Lucille Hollingsworth. "Charles Arden Russell."Daughters of the Republic of Texas: Patriot Ancestor Album, edited by Herbert C. Banks: 242. Paducah, Ky.: Turner Publishing Company, 1995.
Comprising seven typescript volumes of correspondence, diary excerpts, speeches, muster rolls, deeds, account papers, notes, and literary productions, the Charles Arden Russell Papers, 1839-1935, document Russell’s legal and political career and his family’s social affairs. The collection discusses the genealogy and news of family and friends, including sicknesses, deaths, marriages, and other social happenings of the Russell, Brightman, Rogers, and Wood families. Additionally, the volumes concern political and legislative news, the U.S. annexation of Texas, and activities of Texas Legislature while a part of the Confederacy during the Civil War.
This collection is open for research use.
Charles Arden Russell Papers, 1839-1935, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s “History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project,” 2009-2011.