A Guide to the Nacogdoches University Records, 1844-1888
Nacogdoches University opened its doors in 1845 to "the children of persons of all classes, without regard to their religious belief," likely making it the first non-sectarian university in Texas. Except for brief closures, the university remained operational until 1895. Control, however, changed hands several times. The Catholic Church managed the university from 1870 until 1873 and in 1875 the Freemasons' Milam Lodge Number 2 took control. In 1887, Keachi College of Keachi, Louisiana, leased the property, though the name returned to Nacogdoches University in 1889. In 1895 the second charter was allowed to expire when it became clear the instruction could not continue at a university level.
Blake, Robert Bruce. "Nacogdoches University." Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed February 16, 2011.
The Nacogdoches University Records, 1844-1888, comprises three volumes concerning the management and administration of the university. The transcript of the 1858 University Catalogue lists the names of students and the curriculum that year. Documenting virtually the entire history of the institution, the University Papers transcript contains contracts with administrators and teachers, reports on the female department, administrative correspondence, and financial and fundraising reports. The Photostat copy of the University Register spans from 1844 to 1871 and documents the financial situation of the school. It contains a register of lands held by the University Trustees and the assets and indebtedness of the Trustees of the university as well as a register of subscriptions to the institution.
This collection is open for research use.
Nacogdoches University Records, 1844-1888, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers