A Guide to the Francis Marschalk Family Papers, 1865-1911
Born in Mississippi, Francis Marschalk (ca. 1841-1891) was the son of Andrew Marschalk (1767-1838), an English immigrant, Revolutionary War veteran, and publisher of the Mississippi Herald, who was known as the “father of the Mississippi press.” The younger Marschalk followed in his father’s footsteps, founding the fist newspaper of Delta, Texas in 1859. After three years of service in the Confederate Navy during the Civil War, Marschalk returned to Mississippi where he worked as proprietor and editor of the Port Gibson Standard in the 1870s. Before his death, he published the Gregg County Clarion in Longview, Texas, for nearly a decade. Marschalk and his wife Sophia had two daughters.
“Francis Marschalk.” Dallas Morning News. January 1, 1891. 10.
Seybert, Tony. The Natchez slavery press and the road to disunion, 1800-1865. MA thesis, California State University, Northridge, 2005.
Composed primarily of correspondence, the Francis Marschalk Family Papers, 1865-1911, document the personal and business affairs of newspaper publisher Francis Marschalk and his family. Concerning local news for Port Gibson, Fayette, and Natchez, Mississippi and Longview, Texas; family illnesses and travel; and the publishing industry, letters, postcards, and telegrams compose the correspondence between Marschalk; his wife Sophia; and their family, including Marschalk’s daughter Sydney and father Andrew in Natchez, Mississippi. Letters to Marschalk’s business associates as publisher of the Port Gibson Standard and Gregg County Clarion relate to printing, legal issues, and controversies with other publishers. Receipts and account books chronicle the Marschalks’ business and personal spending, such as printer’s fees, groceries, and tuition. Additionally, notes, clippings, railway passes, invitations, brochures, literary productions, reminiscences, and drawings concern the Marschalks’ social and personal activities like travel, parties, and education. A map in the collection illustrates Savannah, Georgia.
This collection is open for research use.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers