A Guide to the Fort Ewell Records, 1852-1854
Named after Mexican War veteran Captain Richard S. Ewell, Fort Ewell in present-day La Salle County, Texas, was established in the 1852 on the Nueces River to guard the frontier and the San Antonio-Laredo Road. It housed numerous companies of the Regiment of Mounted Riflemen, now the Third Armored Cavalry Regiment, of the U.S. Army. Because of its poor location, Fort Ewell was abandoned in 1854.
Leatherwood, Art. "Fort Ewell."Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed December 2, 2010. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qcf03.
Containing quartermaster records, the Fort Ewell Records, 1852-1854, concern the administration and acquisition of supplies for Fort Ewell, Fort Merrill, and the U.S. Army’s Regiment of Mounted Riflemen, including soldier W. E. Jones. The quartermaster records consist of requisitions, invoices, receipts, and returns for forage.
This collection is open for research use.
Fort Ewell Records, 1852-1854, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by John Mullin, May 1986.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers