TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the James Fisher League Papers, 1824-1899
Born in North Carolina, James Fisher (ca. 1781-ca. 1854) was an early Texas settler. In July 1824, as one of Stephen F. Austin’s Old Three Hundred colonists, Fisher received a league of land on the west bank of the Brazos River. Fisher lived, farmed, and raised stock on the land, known as the Stone Farm, with his wife Jenny (or Jane) and their ten children. Once part of Washington County, the land is now incorporated into Burleson County.
“Fisher, James.” Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed November 29, 2010.
Consisting of legal documents and a map, the James Fisher League Papers, 1824-1899 document the history of a league of land granted to Fisher as one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists. The deeds, surveys, and other legal papers of James Fisher, J. G. Giddings, Thomas C. Clay, W. F. Bledsoe, and D. L McGary relate to the land, including the original land grant signed by Austin. Additionally, the papers contain an 1899 plat map of Burleson County, where the league is located.
This collection is open for research use.
James Fisher League Papers, 1824-1899, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s “History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project,” 2009-2011.