TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Georgina Kendall Fellowes Scrapbooks, 1842-1938
Born in Paris, France, Georgina de Valcourt Kendall (1850-1947) was the oldest of four children of writer and rancher George Wilkins Kendall and Adeline de Valcourt. In 1837, George co-founded the New Orleans Picayune, where he published accounts of his travels. He was also considered the first modern war correspondent for his coverage of the Mexican American War. George and Adeline married in France in 1849. The family returned to the states in 1856, staying only a year in New Orleans before moving to Texas. The Kendalls lived in New Braunfels and then Boerne, where George took up sheep ranching.
In 1873, Georgina married Eugene Fellowes, a New Orleans native and member of the Illinois State Legislature, and moved to Chicago. The couple had one child, Kendall Fellowes, who eventually became an actor in New York City. In 1883, the family moved to Spokane, Washington, for the benefit of Eugene's health. Eugene continued to practice law and was a member of the legislature when Washington became a state in 1889. Georgina returned to Texas after Eugene’s death in 1907, living in San Antonio and collecting the history of her father’s newspaper and the Kendall family.
“Kendall Family Papers: A Guide.” Special Collections, The University of Texas at Arlington Library. Accessed November 24, 2010.
Biesele, R. L. “Review: [untitled].” Southwestern Historical Quarterly. Vol. 47, No. 3 (January 1944): 330-332.
The Georgina Kendall Fellowes Scrapbooks, 1842-1938, document the lives of the Kendall family and the work of the New Orleans Picayune through clippings collected by Fellowes. The scrapbooks include articles concerning the publishing career of George Wilkins Kendall, the acting career of Kendall Fellowes, the life of Eugene Fellowes, Texas history, and the publication of the Picayune, among other topics.
This collection is open for research use.
Georgina Kendall Fellowes Scrapbooks, 1842-1938, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s “History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project,” 2009-2011.