A Guide to the Fayette County (Tex.) Records, 1838-1847
First inhabited by Lipan Apaches and Tonkawa Indians, current-day Fayette County, Texas, was part of Stephen F. Austin’s colony, formally settled in 1822. The Republic of Texas established Fayette County, named in honor of Maquis de Lafayette, in 1837. La Grange became the county seat, and the next year the county government was organized. In April 1838, the Texas Congress voted to make La Grange the capital, but President Sam Houston vetoed the measure. During the 1840s, numerous German immigrants settled in the county, and following the United States’ annexation of Texas, the population rose to 3,756 by 1850. The county continued to grow until 1900, reaching 36,542, but steadily declined in the 20th century it to 20,095 by 1990.
Garrett, Daphne Dalton. "Fayette County."Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed November 24, 2010. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcf03.
The Fayette County (Tex.) Records, 1838-1847, comprises two Photostatic volumes of commissioner’s court minutes. The records primarily concern roadwork and construction, resolutions regarding claims against the county, and the building of a courthouse.
This collection is open for research use.
Fayette County (Tex.) Records, 1838-1847, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s “History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project,” 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers