A Guide to the Espada Ditch Company Minute Book, 1894-1970
Franciscan missionaries constructed the Espada ditch, aqueduct, and dam between 1731 and 1745, in order to transport water from the San Antonio River to the Mission San Francisco de la Espada. The ditch fell into disuse in the 1880s but was restored in 1895 when A.Y. Walton, Jr., who owned the land and its water rights, organized the other owners into the Espada Ditch Company. The company declined between 1950 and 1970, as small irrigation farms in San Antonio became less profitable.
The Espada Ditch Company Minute Book, 1894-1970, contains a photocopy of the records of the meetings of the Esapada Ditch Company, from the first one organized by A.Y. Walton, Jr. on December 22, 1894, through the annual meeting in 1970. The minute book includes a full record of the life of the company in the 20th century, including the election of officers and issues pertaining to the maintenance of the ditch.
This collection is open for research use.
Espada Ditch Company Minute Book, 1894-1970, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by John Orange, July 1973.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers