University of Texas, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History

A Guide to the Camp Mabry Records, 1892-1966



Descriptive Summary

Creator: Camp Mabry (Austin, Tex.)
Additional Creator: Sutherland, Richard
Title: Camp Mabry Records
Dates: 1892-1966
Abstract: Photocopies of correspondence, a narrative, photographs, and a property transfer compose the Camp Mabry Records, 1892-1966, which document the history and activities of the military training facility Camp Mabry in Austin, Texas.
Accession No.: 66-186; 68-060
Extent: 14 items
Language: Materials are written in English.
Repository: Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin

Historical Note

Named in honor of Adjutant General of Texas W. H. Mabry, Camp Mabry in Austin, Texas, has served in numerous capacities since it was established in 1892 as a training facility for the Texas National Guard. The camp served as a mobilization area during the Spanish-American War, as a training site and engine-rebuilding station for the U.S. Army during World War I, and as headquarters for the Texas Defense Militia during World War II. The Texas Rangers trained at Camp Mabry until 1953, and the following year the state adjutant general’s office moved to the camp. Furthermore, Camp Mabry presently houses the headquarters for the Texas Air National Guard, the Texas National Guard Armory Board, and the Armory of the 49th Armored Division.

Source:

Smyn, Vivian Elizabeth. "Camp Mabry."Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed October 29, 2010. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbc18.


Scope and Contents

Photocopies of correspondence, a narrative, photographs, and a property transfer compose the Camp Mabry Records, 1892-1966, which document the history and activities of the military training facility Camp Mabry in Austin, Texas. The correspondence, 1922-1923, concerns claims about damage caused to private property by military activities, while the photographs, [ca. 1892]-1938, depict army officers and General W. H. Mabry. The property transfer describes the 1919 transfer of Camp Mabry from the University of Texas to the Adjutant General of Texas, and the map plats illustrate Camp Mabry and component tracts of land. Additionally, the narrative, "Camp Mabry: A History," by Richard Sutherland discusses the history of the camp from its 1891 inception to 1966.


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research use.


Index Terms

Subjects (Persons)
Mabry, W. H. (Woodford Haywood), 1856-1899.
Sutherland, Richard.
Subjects (Organizations)
Camp Mabry (Austin, Tex.) -- Archives.
Texas. National Guard -- History.
Texas. Adjutant General’s Dept. -- History.
Subjects
Military bases -- Texas.
Places
Texas -- History, Military.

Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Camp Mabry Records, 1892-1966, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Walter H. Richter, January 1967 and October 1968.

Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.


Detailed Description of the Papers

 

Inventory

box
2M403 "Camp Mabry: A History" by Richard Sutherland, 1966
Correspondence about damage claims, 1922-1923
Photographs of officers and General Mabry, [ca. 1892]-1938
Camp Mabry, property transfer, 1919
Map plats