TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Delta Kappa Gamma Society, Beta Zeta Chapter, Records, 1962-1974
Delta Kappa Gamma is a professional honorary society for women educators. Dr. Annie Webb Blanton and friends founded the Alpha Chapter in 1929 at the University of Texas at Austin with the purpose of promoting women in education and bringing respect and recognition to the profession. The Society now has over 3,000 chapters in 77 state organizations in 14 countries. On March 23, 1935, at the Nimitz Hotel of Fredericksburg, Texas, Dr. Blanton and charter member Lalla M. Odom officiated the organization and initiation of local Delta Kappa Gamma chapter Beta Zeta to serve the surrounding counties. The Chapter grew rapidly, requiring expansion by 1960. That year, a new chapter, Eta Xi, was formed, for Kerr, Kendall, and Bandera Counties; Mason, Kimble, and Gillespie County members remained with Beta Zeta.
Beta Zeta (Texas). “History of Beta Zeta Chapter.” http://betazeta.weebly.com/chapter-history.html (accessed October 11, 2010).
The Delta Kappa Gamma Society, Beta Zeta Chapter, Records, 1962-1974, document the rules and members of the Fredericksburg, Texas chapter of the women’s professional organization. The collection consists of 22 booklets, published by the chapter and describing its constitution, by-laws, and membership.
This collection is open for research use.
Delta Kappa Gamma Society, Beta Zeta Chapter, Records, 1962-1974, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Collection processed by archives staff.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.