TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Advertising Federation of America Records, [ca. 1910-1970s]
The Advertising Federation of America (AFA) evolved around 1910 from the National Federation of Advertising Clubs, a collection of East Coast advertising professionals formed in 1905 with the goal of elevating the standards of advertising through education and self-regulation. In 1911, the AFA organized a national vigilance committee and launched the “truth in advertising” movement, the forerunner to Better Business Bureaus. After World War II, the growth of commercial air travel and advances in telecommunications diminished the divide between the American east and west, increasing the need for the AFA and its Pacific counterpart, the Advertising Association of the West (AAW), to coordinate activities and political positions. The two organizations worked together for several years before merging in February 1967 to form the American Advertising Federation (AAF).
American Advertising Federation of Baltimore. “ A Brief History of AAF.” (accessed October 4, 2010).
The Advertising Federation of America (AFA) Records, [ca. 1910-1970s], document the organization’s business proceedings and history and include meeting minutes, speeches, clippings files, correspondence, publications, conference information, and business records of the AFA and American Advertising Federation (AAF). Additionally, the collection relates to other advertising associations and their governing bodies. The records begin at the turn of the twentieth century with the official formation of the AFA and continue after AFA’s 1967 merger with the Advertising Association of the West (AWA) to form the AAF.
This collection is open for research use.
This collection is stored off-site. Advance notice required for retrieval. Please contact repository.
Advertising Federation of America Records, [ca. 1910-1970s], Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.
This collection contains unprocessed materials.