A Guide to the Military Order of the World Wars (Austin Chapter) Records, 1941-1945, 1960-1986
The Military Order of the World Wars is a nonpartisan organization, established in 1919 as a means for officers of all military branches and services to come together to promote patriotic behavior, national security, good citizenship, and service to the United States. The Austin chapter of the association received a charter in July 1972. The branch adopted the national preamble to the Constitution of the Order, which includes such tenets as cherishing the memories of World Wars, promoting patriotic education and love of country and flag, and fostering good relations among all branches of the armed forces.
Source: The Military Order of the World Wars Austin Chapter. "About MOWW." http://www.main.org/mowwaustin/About.htm (accessed August 17, 2010).
The Military Order of the World Wars (Austin Chapter) Records, 1960-1986, contain correspondence, newspaper clippings, biographies, photographs, a videotape, oral histories on cassette tapes, rosters, resolutions, press releases, and printed material, pertaining to the activities of the Austin chapter of the Military Order of the World Wars, especially the development of the Austin Vietnam War Memorial in Waterloo Park. Additionally, the records relate to the Beirut Memorial, conventions and other organization activities, and to U. S. Forces in Australia in 1941 and 1942. The collection contains a videotape of Colonel Mark Muller and Lt. Colonel Bobb Glenn regarding World War II events in the Southwest Pacific in December 1941 as well as oral history cassette tapes, including Colonel Lawson W. Magruder, Jr.’s account of the Korean War Experience of 1950-1951. Furthermore, the records contain a biographical data sheet of Colonel Robert O. Viterna as well as his oral history giving an anecdote on a grenade launcher.
The collection is open for research.
Military Order of the World Wars (Austin Chapter) Records, 1941-1945, 1960-1986, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by Lawrence A. Landis, May 1986. Subsequent revisions were made by Alison Beck, May 1987.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers