A Guide to the Texas Society of Hospital Pharmacists Records, 1949-1958
The Texas Society of Hospital Pharmacists (TSHP) was founded in 1949, although Houston and Galveston hospital pharmacists held informal meetings three years earlier. The organization formed following the success of the First Seminar for Hospital Pharmacists, held on May 9 and 10, 1949, at the University of Texas at Austin. Lewis Smith was the first chairman and Adela Schneider the first secretary as well as the driving force behind the society’s formation. By the 1980s, TSHP had changed its name to the Texas Society of Health System Pharmacists. Their goals include the education of hospital pharmacists, uniting hospital pharmacists providing them with opportunities for meeting and mutual support, and cooperating with state and national hospital and pharmaceutical associations.
Source: Texas Society of Health System Pharmacists. “History.” Texas Society of Health System Pharmacists. http://www.tshp.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=73 (accessed June 29, 2010).
Correspondence, constitution and by-laws, financial records, photographs, and membership records comprise the Texas Society of Hospital Pharmacists Records, 1949-1958, and describe the society’s early history, finances, and activities. The records include correspondence and accompanying records detailing the first ten seminars sponsored by the society as well as general business correspondence. Additionally, the records document the society’s special projects, membership, and relationship with A. H. A. Institute on Hospital Pharmacy. The small amount of photographs in the collection depicts the Seventh Hospital Pharmacy Seminar, 1955. Furthermore, the records contain a survey and census of hospital pharmacies from 1953, narratives describing the early history of the organization, and society bulletins from 1950 to 1954.
The collection is open for research use.
Texas Society of Hospital Pharmacies Records, 1949-1958, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers