TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Texas Music Educators Association Records, 1919-1979
Established in 1920 as the Texas Band Teachers Association, the Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) is an organization of over 10,000 Texas school music educators. The association strives to provide professional growth opportunities, to encourage communication and interaction among music education professionals, and to improve the states of music education in Texas by fostering public support and cultivating appreciation of and involvement in music.
The association provides its members with a variety of benefits and services, including an online directory for communication among music educators, clinic recordings, job and resume assistance, publications, and scholarships.
Source: Texas Music Educators Association. http://www.tmea.org/ (accessed July 29, 2010).
The Texas Music Educators Association Records, 1919-1979, contain periodicals, photographs, correspondence, minutes of meetings, organization reports, membership rolls, clippings, individual members’ files, convention files, and ledgers. The records pertain to the day-to-day functioning of the TMEA and individual members’ collections and contributions of association materials. The individuals associated with the TMEA who collected and organized their own materials into this collection include J. R. McEntyre (president, 1970-1972), Ruth Merrill, Elinor Montandon, J.W. King (president, 1972-1974), Ruth Red, and Ken Howard. Furthermore, the records contain photographs of some association members as well as of Austin and Temple High Schools performing the Messiah, 1942.
The collection is open for research.
These records are stored remotely. Advance notice required for retrieval. Contact repository for retrieval.
Texas Music Educators Association Records, 1919-1979, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Subsequent revisions were made by Lawrence A. Landis, September 1990.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011.