TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Texas Music Teachers Association Records, 1886-1937
In 1886, Professor J. Alleine Brown of Chappell Hill, vice president of the Music Teachers National Association, called for a meeting of Texas music teachers to form a statewide professional organization. The meeting, which took place concurrently with the annual conference of the Teachers Association of Texas at Austin, resulted in the organization of the Texas Music Teachers Association (TMTA). Brown served as the TMTA’s first president from 1886 to 1891, while William Besserer of Austin became its first secretary and treasurer. The TMTA, an affiliate of the Music Teachers National Association, incorporated in 1927 and began accepting student affiliate organizations in 1951. The TMTA founded the Texas Music Teachers Educational Foundation in 1980 to support the development of music education in Texas. The TMTA serves as a professional organization for Texas music teachers and works to promote the value of music in society.
Texas Music Teachers Association. “Mission Statement.” Texas Music Teachers Association. http://www.tmta.org/ (accessed July 30, 2010).
Texas Music Teachers Association. “Historical Data.” Texas Music Teachers Association. http://www.tmta.org/about_tmta/historical_data.php (accessed July 30, 2010)
Correspondence, receipt books, minutes, and a scrapbook comprise the Texas Music Teachers Association Records, 1886-1937, and document the association’s early history. The bulk of the collection consists of correspondence from 1888 to 1929 and relates to the association’s general business activities as well as the organization of its yearly meetings. The minutes, a printed official report of the first meeting, and a handwritten draft of the original constitution pertain to the TMTA’s formation and early conferences, 1886-1891. The scrapbook, 1936-1937, consists of photographs and printed materials, such as programs, invitations, and ticket stubs.
The collection is open for research use.
Texas Music Teachers Assoiciation Records, 1886-1937, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.