TABLE OF CONTENTS
Detailed Description of the Papers
A Guide to the Texas Actuarial History Collection, 1879-1988
Annie N. Friedman graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in 1926. Her husband Lloyd N. Friedman (d. 2001) earned his M.A. from the University of Michigan in 1929 and became a fellow of the Society of Actuaries in 1937. He owned the actuarial consulting firm of Lloyd K. Friedman & Associates in Houston, Texas, until his retirement in 1983.
That same year, the Actuaries’ Club of the Southwest’s president Edwin “Ed” E. Hightower outlined a plan for a history project about actuaries in the Southwest. Knowing of Lloyd’s recent retirement and reputation as a source of actuarial history, Hightower asked Lloyd to write the book. Lloyd assented and, after recruiting Annie to help with the writing, narrowed the scope from the Southwest to Texas. In 1988, the Friedmans published On the Trail of Actuaries in Texas, 1844-1964 (San Antonio, Texas: Watercress Press).
The Texas Actuarial History Collection, 1879-1988, documents Annie N. and Lloyd K. Friedman’s research and publication on actuaries in Texas for their book On the Trail of Actuaries in Texas, 1844-1964. The collection contains correspondence, book manuscripts, printed items, research notes, and oral history interviews on audiocassettes.The research notes describe the history of the Actuaries’ Club of the Southwest (ACSW); city and state boards and departments of insurance; university programs; influential people, including J. C. Cameron; and specific time periods, such as war years. The manuscripts show the development of the book from 1987 to 1988. Additionally, oral history interviews discuss Oswald Jacoby, J. C. Cameron, Bill Hirsh, and the general actuarial history of Texas with such interviewees as Edwin E. “Ed” Hightower, Benjamin N. “Ben” Woodson, J. J. Evans, Mary Zita (Mrs. Oswald) Jacoby, among others.
This collection is open for research use.
Texas Actuarial History Collection, 1879-1988, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Processed by Deborah Bloys, April 1995.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011.