TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Tucker Royall Papers, 1872-1894
Tucker Royall (b. 1877) was the son of N. R. Royall (1846-1905), Palestine, Texas banker. When N. R. Royall was 21 years old he left his father’s farm near Athens, Texas, and became a clerk in the general merchandise firm of Murchison and Coleman. In 1873, Royall bought into Larkin, Coleman and Company and moved to Palestine, Texas. He took over the firm, which did both a general mercantile and banking business and changed its name to Royall, Coleman and Company. In 1893 the company became Royall and Murchison, and in 1895 moved solely to banking enterprises. It changed its name again to N. R. Royall, Banker until 1904 when it incorporated as the Royall National Bank. The bank took control of the Peoples Bank and Trust Company in 1909. Tucker Royall started as a cashier in the bank on its first day of business, April 1, 1904, and became president of the board of directors of the bank in January 1909. The Royall Loan and Investment Company was founded and incorporated in Palestine, Texas, in July 1907, and Tucker Royall served as president of that company as well.
Sources: Watson, Kaye. "Royall, Elliott, Morrison-Palestine, Tx." Genealogy.com. http://genforum.genealogy.com/tx/anderson/messages/511.html (accessed July 28, 2010).
Palestine Daily Herald (Palestine, Tex.) June 1, 1909. http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn86090383/1909-06-01/ed-1/seq-14/ (accessed July 28, 2010).
The Tracings, Volume 17, Number 02, November 1999: The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth37947/m1/27/ (accessed July 28, 2010).
A daybook, a freight book, a ledger, and cotton books of N. R. Royall comprise the Tucker Royall Papers, 1872-1894. The papers relate to the finances of Larkin, Coleman and Co.; Royall, Coleman and Co.; Royall and Murchison; N. R. Royall, Banker; and Royall National Bank of Palestine.
The collection is open for research.
Tucker Royall Papers, 1872-1894, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011.