TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the P. L. Buquor Papers, 1730-1829, 1853
Pasquale Leo Buquor (1816-1901), born in New Orleans, Louisiana, enlisted in the Army of the Republic of Texas in 1839. He joined General Thomas Jefferson Rusk’s campaign against the Cherokee Indians, and by 1840 became an officer in the Commissary Department. Buquor spent 1839-1840 in Company E, 1st Regiment, Texas Infantry, and in 1841 joined the Texas Rangers. In 1846, Buquor served as City Marshal of Bexar, and in 1852 he was elected to the office of Bexar County Commissioner. He went on to serve in various positions for the Bexar government, including Notary Public and Justice of the Peace. Additionally, Buquor was an alderman for the City of San Antonio, January 1861-January 1862. Upon the onset of the Civil War, Buquor organized a volunteer company and served as Captain of the 3rd Infantry, 1st Company A, Texas, in 1861, and returned to San Antonio in 1862. There he was elected mayor, a position he held from 1863 to 1865. Among his accomplishments as mayor include the vice presidency of a committee dedicated to helping soldiers, veterans, and their families, as well as a profit-garnering method for the extermination of rodents by citizens.
In 1853, Texas Governor Peter Hansbrough Bell requested from Buquor a translation of correspondence, petitions, proceedings, and proclamations from Spanish originals in the Bexar Archives. Buquor married Maria de Jesus Delgado in 1841. He died in 1901, after serving in various other military, veterans, and city associations.
The P. L. Buquor Papers, 1730-1829, 1853, include photostats of correspondence, petitions, proceedings, and proclamations, translated from Spanish to English, from originals in the Bexar Archives. The papers contain documents concerning protection against the intrusion of foreigners and Indians, the criminal code published at Nacogdoches, Freemasonry and rebel leaders, and petitions for better government.
The collection is open for research.
P. L. Buquor Papers, 1730-1829, 1853, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.