A Guide to the Texas Adjutant General's Office Records, 1838-1889
The state office of adjutant general, founded in 1905 by order of the Texas legislature, aids the governor in the supervision of the state’s military department. The Republic of Texas had a similar department that ceased in 1840 and began again in 1846. In this incarnation, the office served only to verify veterans’ land claims and operated only intermittently until 1905. The adjutant general is appointed by the governor, and then makes recommendations for two assistant adjutants general. The governor then appoints the two assistants. The Texas Adjutant General’s Office is located at Camp Mabry, in Austin, Texas. The adjutant general’s responsibilities include providing aid and personnel from the military forces of Texas, in the event of war or other national emergency.
Source: Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. "Adjutant General," http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/AA/mba1.html (accessed June 2, 2010).
The Texas Adjutant General’s Office Records include special and general orders, correspondence, memoranda, telegrams, and reports of the Texas Rangers, State Police, and other law enforcement officers in Texas (1838-1889). Most of the documents are transcripts. A section of the records pertains to the capture of outlaw Sam Bass. Additionally, the records concern the defense of the frontier against Native Americans and outlaws, including supplies for and activities of defense troops.
This collection is open for research use.
Texas Adjutant General's Office Records, 1838-1889, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers