TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Dudley Hiram Snyder Family Papers, 1851-1923
Dudley Hiram Snyder (1833–1921), cattleman, was born in Mississippi and moved to Round Rock, Texas, in 1854. He delivered beef cattle to the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Furthermore, he served as a conscription officer in Williamson County. After partnering with his brother, John W. Snyder, in 1868, they drove cattle to Wyoming, Colorado, and Kansas from Texas.
Snyder owned ranches in Cooke, Mitchell, Stonewall, Lamb, and Hartley counties. In addition, he contributed to the construction of a link line from Granger to Austin, which was eventually purchased by the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railway Company. A supporter of education, he donated funds to Southwestern University. Snyder was married to Mary Oatts of Round Rock, and they had nine children. He died in Georgetown in 1921.
Source: Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. "Snyder, Dudley Hiram", http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/SS/fsn8.html (accessed June 2, 2010).
The Dudley Hiram Snyder Family papers include correspondence, account books, checks and check stubs, promissory notes, receipts, deeds, ledgers, order books, herd registers pamphlets newspaper clippings and photographs. The papers concern the cattle ranching enterprise of Snyder, his brothers, John Wesley and Thomas, and other members of the family in the Texas Panhandle, South Plains, Colorado, and Wyoming. Furthermore, the papers relate to Snyder's interest in Southwestern University, the Civil War, and the family's mining activities in Sinaloa, Mexico.
This collection is open for research use.
Dudley Hiram Snyder Family Papers, 1851-1923, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by William Richter, August 1967. Subsequent revisions were made by M. J. Ellison, Sr., March and April 1976.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011.