A Guide to the Arthur Lefevre Collection, 1882-1968
Arthur Lefevre, Jr. (1890-1968) was an industrial publications editor for Texaco. One of three children, he was the son of Adela Beale Yerby (1864-1940) and Arthur Lefevre, Sr. (1863-1928), an educator, school superintendent, and editor of the Texaco Star. Arthur, Jr., graduated from the University of Texas in 1913 and joined his father at the Texas Company (Texaco), editing the Texaco Star and retiring after 42 years in 1955. He served as president of the Texas Editorial Association and of the Harris County Historical Society; as assistant president of the North and East Texas Press Association, of the South Texas Press Association, and of the Texas Gulf Coast Press Association; as chairman of the West Texas Press Association’s Memorial Committee; as former officer of the Houston Philosophical Society; and as member of the Texas Press Association and of the Panhandle Press Association.
Lefevre married Carrie Elizabeth Beauman (1893-1982) in 1915, and the couple had three children.
The Arthur Lefevre Collection, 1882-1968, contains personal correspondence with Texas newspapermen as well as publications and newspaper clippings concerning editors and press associations. Materials include correspondence and letterpresses, memos, speeches and lectures, newspaper clippings and press releases, newsletters, galley proofs and literary productions, committee reports and meeting minutes, constitution and by-laws, photographs, maps, notes, lists and programs, broadsides, publications and printed material, financial records, and diaries. These documents illustrate the history and activities of numerous press associations, the oil industry, and government officials.
This collection is open for research use.
A portion of this collection is stored remotely. Advance notice required for retrieval. Contact repository for retrieval.
Arthur Lefevre Collection, 1882-1968, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s “History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project,” 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers