A Guide to the Texas Savings and Loan League Records, 1929-1991
Founded in 1922, the Texas Savings and Loan League worked with regional savings and loan associations and banks to develop seminars, conferences, and other enhanced learning programs for people in the financial field. The League also hosted a Texas Savings and Loan School, which provided two intense one-week sessions over two summers in a university environment. Former members and officers include E.E. Shelton, the first president; San Antonio mayor Walter W. McAllister, Sr. (1923-1924); Walter W. McAllister, Jr. (1956-1957); Texas Senator Ashley E. Wood; Durward Curlee; and Eric Sandberg (1989-2006). During Sandberg’s presidency, the League changed its name to Texas Savings & Community Bankers Association and merged in 2006 with the Texas Bankers Association.
Texas Savings and Loan League Records, 1929-1991, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
"Meet President and CEO Eric Sandberg."Texas Banking, May 1, 2009, http://www.allbusiness.com/banking-finance/banking-institutions-systems-savings/12347698-1.html (accessed May 10, 2010).
Palmer, Donny. "TBA welcomes East Texas savings bankers."Texas Banking, Sept. 1, 2006, http://www.allbusiness.com/services/religious-grantmaking-civic-professional/4088144-1.html (accessed May 10, 2010).
Texas Savings and Loan League. Fifty Years of Leadership. [Austin, Tex.]: Texas Savings and Loan League, 1972. Call number HG 2153 T4 F548 1972 TXC.
The Texas Savings and Loan League Records, 1929-1991, contain printed material, files, notebooks, pamphlets, artwork, and other ephemera, which relate to savings and loans, banking, and real estate in Texas, especially in Austin.
This collection is open for research use.
These papers are stored remotely. Advance notice required for retrieval. Contact repository for retrieval.
Texas Savings and Loan League Records, 1929-1991, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s “History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project,” 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers