A Guide to the Freie Presse Für Texas Records, 1867-1946
Die Freie Presse für Texas, a German newspaper published by the Texas Free Press Company in San Antonio, was founded on July 15, 1865, by August Siemering and Company. Two years later W. B. Moore, James P. Newcomb, and H. Pollmar joined Siemering as editors. The front page contained advertisements, many of which were for San Antonio businesses, and fiction, and the second and third pages conveyed national and world news.
Prominent news items featured in the newspaper include endorsements of Ulysses S. Grant for president (1868), Reconstruction laws, accounts of Indians and Indian raids, and information and advice directed at German immigrants. The newspaper was one of the prominent papers of the day, especially in the many South Texas cities that had large German populations. G. F. Neuhause edited the Freie Presse until the paper was discontinued in 1945.
Source: Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. "Die Freie Presse für Texas," http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/SS/eeswm.html (accessed May 19, 2010).
The records of the Freie Presse Für Texas include correspondence, legal papers, memoranda, newspapers and clippings, business accounts, galley proofs, broadsides, and pamphlets, relating to the establishment and operation of a German-language newspaper in Texas. The records pertain to congressional activities such as the National Recovery Act and amendments and revisions to immigration laws. Additionally, the records reflect the influence on society that German minority groups enjoyed in the 1930s, and also describe the activities of German singing societies and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
Materials are written in German and English.
The collection is open for research.
Due to the fragility of newspapers within the collection, microfilm copies should be used rather than the original newspapers.
Freie Presse Für Texas Records, 1867-1946, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.
Newspapers are available on microfilm from the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Detailed Description of the Papers