A Guide to the M. M. Birge Notebook, 1917
The house of the French Legation in Austin, Tex. was built 1840-1841 for the Alphonse Dubois de Saligny, representing France in the interests of the newly formed Republic of Texas. The house, built two feet off the ground, resembles the Greek Revival and Mississippi Valley French architecture of the time. Over the next few years, the property changed ownership several times, finally resting with the Robertson family from 1848 to 1948. The Daughters of the Republic of Texas gained control of the house, and they restored it to its 1841 look. It opened to the public in 1956 and remains a popular historic tourist destination in Austin.
Hafertepe, Kenneth. "French Legation". Handbook of Texas Online, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/FF/ccf3.html, accessed Sept. 4, 2008.
Description and history of the French Legation building in Austin (1840-1917).
M. M. Birge Notebook, 1917, Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Detailed Description of the Papers