TABLE OF CONTENTS
UT Department of Engineering Photographs, 1938-1964
The University of Texas College of Engineering was founded in 1894, although T. U. Taylor taught engineering classes since 1888. A department of Civil Engineering was established in 1903, and other departments were established later. In 1906 T. U. Taylor became dean. In 1916 Tau Beta Pi, the first engineering honor society in Texas, was chartered; in 1941 Omega Chi Epsilon became the honor society for the department of Civil Engineering at UT. The first woman at the College graduated in 1917 and the first MS degree was awarded in 1921. By 1931 the student body of the College of Engineering reached 1,000 students. In 1937 T. U. Taylor became the first registered engineer in Texas.
This collection was transferred to the Center for American History from the Harry Ransom Center in 2006.
This collection consists of black and white, primarily group photos, from 1938-1964. The class photos from 1942 to 1951 are individual portraits, approximately 1 inch high, printed several per page. In the same format are the staff photo (unlabelled) and the Omega Chi Epsilon photo (which has a manuscript note with names). The class photos from 1952 and later are 8 x 10 inch group portraits, typically taken in front of the Engineering building; most are labeled with month and year and last names. The student chapter group photo is unlabelled. The T.U. Taylor Award group portraits are labeled with names.
UT Department of Engineering Photographs, the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.