Texas Archival Resources Online

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Descriptive Summary

Biographical Note

Scope and Contents

Restrictions

Index Terms

Related Material

Separated Material

Administrative Information

Description of Series

Inventory

University of Texas, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History

A Guide to the Wayne Bell Papers, 1974-1993



Descriptive Summary

Creator: Bell, Wayne, 1933-
Title: Bell, Wayne, papers
Dates: 1974-1993
Abstract: M. Wayne Bell, Meadows Centennial Professor of Architecture in the School of Architecture at UT, developed a professional interest in restoration architecture through work on the Winedale Historical Center, a division of UT Austin's Briscoe Center for American History, located in Round Top, Texas. Papers pertain to the Winedale Historical Complex.
Accession No.: 95-216
OCLC No.: 948297108
Extent: 3 ft.
Language: Materials are written in English.
Repository: Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin

Biographical Note

M. Wayne Bell was born in Luling, Texas in 1933. He earned a bachelor's degree in Architecture from The University of Texas at Austin in 1960. After attending the University of Delaware's Winterthur Post-Graduate Program in American Decorative Arts, Bell worked for the UT Office of Facilities of Planning and Construction, 1964-68. During this time he worked on the George W. Littlefield House, a historic home on the UT campus, and the Winedale Historical Center, an outdoor museum and study center dedicated to Texas history located in Round Top, Texas. The Winedale Historical Complex is a division of UT's Briscoe Center for American History.

Bell served as the first state restoration architect and director of the National Register Program as part of his work with the Texas Historical Commission. He then served as chief of the Historic Sites and Restoration Branch of the Texas Wildlife Department before returning to teach full-time on the faculty of UT in the American Civilization program and then as the Meadows Centennial Professor of Architecture in the School of Architecture.

In 1967 Bell became director of the Winedale Historical Center, an office he held for over 25 years. He founded the Winedale Preservation Institute, which offered a historic structures documentation course for students from various Texas universities. Bell retired from UT in 1995 but remains a professor emeritus.

Return to the Table of Contents


Scope and Contents

The Wayne Bell Papers, 1974-1993, pertain primarily to Bell's functions as director of the Winedale Historical Center from 1967 to 1994. The papers include grants, planning materials, correspondence, maps, photographs, and VHS videotapes of College Station, Texas.

Return to the Table of Contents


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research use.

Return to the Table of Contents


Index Terms

Subjects (Persons)
Bell, Wayne, 1933-
Subjects (Organizations)
Winedale Museum
Subjects
Museum buildings--Design and construction
Places
College Station (Tex.)

Return to the Table of Contents


Related Material

See also Wayne Bell Papers at the Alexander Architectural Archive at the University of Texas at Austin.

Return to the Table of Contents


Separated Material

Some material has been separated to the Artifact Collection.

Return to the Table of Contents


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Wayne Bell Papers, 1974-1993, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.

Return to the Table of Contents


Detailed Description of the Papers

 

Inventory

box
3E119a College Station:
College Station, Texas, 1938-1988, by Deborah Lynn Balliew, 1987
College Station Semi-Centennial, 50 Years of Service, 1938-1988
Anderson Park, College Station, Texas, 1986-1988
The Republic of Texas Super Triathlon/Marathon, 1986
Richard Carter Park Dedication Ceremony, September 13, 1986
Calendar, 1988 (prints of College Station buildings)
Meadows grant for Winedale, 1988-1989
Textile grant, 1978-1979
Mary Moody Northen grant, 1989
Wall paper samples, McGregor parlour
Ima Hogg awards, 1992
Ima Hogg awards and program, 1989
Council roster, 1989
Pavilion for Winedale, 1993
Spring Symposium, 1991
Council meeting, September 14, 1991
Winedale fund raising, 1989
Theater barn floor, 1991
Winedale advisory, 1974-1975
DeCamp correspondence, 1988
Winedale fund drive, 1985
Hogg awards, 1991
Winedale planning, 1982-1987
Farmer's Seminar, 1988
Ted Hollingsworth, Winedale, 1988
Biegel House restoration, 1980-1981
Fundraising, 1988-1989
Winedale awards, 1989
Foundations, 1984
Building sketches
Wagner House restoration, 1984
Winedale gin/mill, Wagner
"Interpreting Slavery in South-Central Texas," 1978
Winedale Council, 1975-1991
box
3E119b Printed material on Winedale
Gifts and donations, 1989-1992
Meadows Foundation, 1988-1990
Development office
Ima Hogg awards
Littlefield Society, 1990-1991
Wagner House addition, 1990
Advisory Council, miscellaneous
Miscellaneous Winedale papers and material
box
3E119c Miscellaneous Winedale papers and material
Winedale, legal description
Miss Ima Hogg material
box
2.325/OD6 Oversize maps, plates and site plans
box
3Y113 Photographs
box
3Y400 VHS videotapes:
College Station, Texas, 1938-1988

Return to the Table of Contents