TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Adolph Francis Alphonse Bandelier Papers, 1914-1917
Adolph Francis Alphonse Bandelier (1840 – 1914) was an American archaeologist after whom Bandelier National Monument in New Mexico is named. Bandelier was born in Bern, Switzerland, and emigrated to the United States in his youth. After 1880 he devoted himself to archaeological and ethnological work among the Indians of the southwestern United States, Mexico and South America. Beginning his studies in Sonora (Mexico), Arizona and New Mexico, he made himself the leading authority on the history of this region, and — with F. H. Cushing and his successors — one of the leading authorities on its prehistoric civilization. In 1892 he abandoned this field for Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru, where he continued ethnological, archaeological and historical investigations. In the first field he was in a part of his work connected with the Hemenway Archaeological Expedition and in the second worked for Henry Villard of New York, and for the American Museum of Natural History of the same city.
List of documents in Archivo General de Indias, Seville, transcribed by American historian, archaeologist, anthropologist, and explorer Bandelier (1840-1914) and his wife Fanny R. Bandelier, and published in Charles Wilson Hackett, trans. and ed., Historical Documents Relating to New Mexico, Nueva Vizcaya, and Approaches Thereto, to 1773 (Washington, D.C., 1923), vol. III. Envelopes from Fanny Bandelier in Seville, addressed to Robert L. Woodward, President of Carnegie Institution, Washington, D.C., which financed the Bandeliers’ transcription work in the Mexican and Spanish archives, 1912-1915, are included as is a 1917 mailing wrapper addressed to Hackett from the Institution. The collection titled New Mexico Archives Records, 1532-1879, contains related material, including handwritten and typed transcripts of the documents here listed and other volumes entitled “Bandelier Transcripts of documents.”
Adolph Francis Alphonse Bandelier Papers, 1914-1917, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.