TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Willie Andrews Pioneer Schools Records, ca. 1872-1962
The Andrews Pioneer Schools were established by Mrs. Willie Andrews and her husband, Whit Andrews. The Andrews schools included Harris Chapel School, Gonzales County (1867-1868); Nixon School, Caldwell County (1868-1870); Science Hall Institute and Science Hall Home Institute, Hays County (1870-1888); and Austin Home Institute, Austin. The Andrews schools antedated the establishment of a public-school system in Texas in 1876, included one of the first schools established in Hays County, and pioneered the establishment of coeducational boarding schools in Texas.
Collection concerns the founding and history of the Andrews Pioneer Schools, established by Mrs. Willie Andrews and her husband, Whit Andrews. The records document the establishment of local and state associations of Willie Andrews Pioneer Schools Ex-Students (1920-1960). Included are correspondence, telegrams, lists, minutes, biographical sketches, broadsides, newspaper clippings, treasurers’ reports, tributes and memorials, notes and memoranda, and photographs.
Willie Andrews Pioneer Schools Records, ca. 1872-1962, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.