TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the UT Thompson (Joe C.) Conference Center Records, 1962-1993 [bulk 1970s]
Completed in 1970, the University of Texas at Austin built the Joe C. Thompson Conference Center (TCC), specifically designed for use in continuing education and public service programs directed at off-campus adult groups. In its first year, September 1970-August 1971, the TCC held 330 conferences, meetings, institutes, etc., sponsored by University, state organizations and departments, as well as private or corporate entities, with over 38,000 participants.
Joe C. Thompson was born in Waxahachie, Texas, on January 25, 1901. From the University of Texas, he earned A.B. and B.B.A. degrees. In 1922, he began an ice business, which eventually grew into an international merchandising organization, called Southland Corporation (parent company of 7-Eleven Convenience Stores). In 1956, Thompson became the first life member of the Ex-Students Association, symbolizing permanent membership in the University, and joined the UT Development Board. The following year he was appointed to the University’s Board of Regents and supported the UT’s first computer program development.
Thompson first discussed the idea of a conference center in 1956. He became involved in educational meetings, including the Industrial Conference Board. After his death on June 11, 1961, funds from the Thompson family, Southland Corporation, and the UT Board of Rents helped the approval of the TCC on June 18, 1966. The building was dedicated on October 30, 1970, and includes seminar and conference rooms, a library, administrative offices, an auditorium, and other areas to promote numerous interests and activities and to unite the academic community and the public.
Audiotapes, photographs, publications, and other material compose the UT Thompson Conference Center (TCC) Records, 1962-1993 [bulk 1970s], and illuminate the history of the Center, primarily the dedication in 1970 and information about operations and programs instated throughout the years. The collection is divided into four series: I. General, with information about the TCC; II. Dedication and Early Years with audiotapes, newspaper clippings, a dedication ceremony transcript, and exhibit material that includes the dedication invitation and program as well pictures of and documents about the first years of the Center; III. Photographs, which include prints and restricted negatives of the building’s interior as well as ceremonies and programs occurring in it; and IV. Southland Corporation publications, containing 7-Eleven newspaper clippings as well as information about the late Joe C. Thompson and his involvement with the TCC.
Use of some audio material by appointment only; please contact sound archivist for more information.
Use of photographic negatives by appointment only; please contact photos archivist for more information.
UT Thompson (Joe C.) Conference Center Records, 1962-1993 [bulk 1970s], Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by Laurel Rozema, January 2008.