A Guide to the Governor Dolph Briscoe Alamo Daguerreotype, 1849
The photographer of this daguerreotype is unknown. It is likely that it was given by Edward Miles, a local Bexar County official in the late 1840s and 1850s, to a family named Batterson of New England. It remained in private hands until it was sold to Governor Briscoe, who donated it to the Briscoe Center in 1993.
Collection consists of one daguerreotype. This daguerreotype, estimated production date of 1849, is the earliest know documentation of the Alamo Chapel of San Antonio de Valero Mission. It is also presumed to be the earliest extant photographic image made in Texas. Showing the exterior façade of the chapel ruins, it is the only known photographic view of the Alamo made prior to its reconstruction in 1850.
Due to the fragility of this item access is by appointment only. Copy prints are available for viewing. Contact repository for appointment.
Governor Dolph Briscoe Alamo Daguerreotype, 1849, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers