International Longshoremen's Association, Local 1273 Records:
In 1895, several local unions of longshoremen in the United States and Canada joined together to form the International Longshoremen's Association (ILA). In 1914, an all-white local, Local 896, was organized in Houston and served as a sister union to all-black Local 872. The two locals initially engaged in a work sharing method known as the 50-50 system with each local supplying half of the men to work in unsegregated work gangs. Although the practice continued to be known as the 50-50 system, the work gangs became segregated in the late 1920's with each local alternating working forward and aft of ships as they arrived. Labor contract disputes, disagreements with the District office, increasing hostilities along the waterfront, and rising tensions within its membership led to the disbanding of Local 896 in 1930. It was reorganized as Local 1273 on January 8, 1930 with Charles Bradley acting as its first president.
The International Longshoremen's Association Ladies Auxiliary No. 1 was organized in 1931 and served Locals 1231, 1273, 1330, and 1350.
Records are comprised of a bound volume of minutes and also includes a handwritten draft of the history of Locals 896 and 1273 written by Maude Russell Lynch. The minutes record and describe the proceedings of meetings held by Local 1273 from January 31 to March 16, 1931. Topics addressed during meetings included communications with other unions, the reorganization of the union, membership, issues pertaining to individual members, working rules, and other general labor issues.
Also included are photocopies of correspondence, 1933-1939, and minutes, 1934-1939, of the Ladies Auxiliary No. 1 which document the Auxiliary's social, charitable, and organizational activities.
Open for research.
International Longshoremen's Association, Local 1273 Records, AR19, Box Number, Folder Number, Special Collections, The University of Texas at Arlington Libraries.
The retrospective updating and conversion of this finding aid was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications & Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Special Collections "Documenting Democracy: Access to Historical Records" project, 2014-2015.