Reunion of Former Arlington, Texas, Mayors, City Managers and City Council Members Collection:
Louisiana native Martha B. Walker received her undergraduate degree from Oklahoma University and a master's degree from the University of Texas at Arlington where she was the first student in the Institute of Urban Studies. She was the first female elected to the Arlington, Texas, City Council, serving from 1972 to 1982. Walker worked at Arlington Bank and Trust, and retired from its successor, Chase Bank. She helped found the Fielder Museum with Mildred Kibby, helped plan the Fourth of July celebration in 1974 to 1976, and actively volunteered in various church, school, and Chamber of Commerce activities. In 2009, she completed eight years of service to the John Peter Smith Hospital Board of Managers. Walker organized three reunions of Arlington city officials.
The materials in this collection relate to three reunions of former Arlington mayors, city managers and city council members held on March 23, 1995, March 28, 1996, and May 5, 1997. They include photographs, negatives, invitations, and a guest book from the reunions. In addition, the collection includes lists of City Council members from 1947-2001; City Council members by year, 1941-1993, some with vote tallies; city managers; and a sampling of phone numbers from the 1946 Arlington telephone directory.
Open for research.
Literary Rights Statement
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from Special Collections, The University of Texas at Arlington Library. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
Gift of Martha B. Walker, 2009.
Reunion of Former Arlington, Texas, Mayors, City Managers and City Council Members Collection, 1941-1997, Unprocessed mss. 2009-60, Box Number, Folder Number, Special Collections, The University of Texas at Arlington Library.
Accessioned as number 2009-60.
One of the photographs in the collection is copyrighted by Stephen Bishop.