Fort Worth Star-Telegram Collection, Series 5: Oversize Photographs--Aerial Views and Subjects, People, Sports, and Early Texas:
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram was formed by the union of the Fort Worth Star and Fort Worth Telegram. It began with the January 1, 1909 issue. The Fort Worth Star was started on February 1, 1906. The Star purchased the Fort Worth Telegram in 1909.
This is Series 5 of AR406, Fort Worth Star-Telegram Collection.
Prints, larger than 8" x 10". Black and white photographs, larger than 8" x 10", consisting of aerial views and subjects, people, sports, and early Texas primarily in and around Fort Worth and the Metroplex, but also including other areas of the United States.
Photographs of Texas subjects covering events, organizations, people, and places in the Star-Telegram collection, are an invaluable source for the history and biography of the region. Older, more fragile photographs are also found in Series 4, Early Texas.
Open for research.
Literary Rights Statement
Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from Special Collections, The University of Texas at Arlington Library. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.
Arrangements for reproduction of photographs dated after 1990 must be made directly with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Permission must be obtained from the copyright holder to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures wire service photographs or photographs by other photographers included in the collection. Wire services photographs will not be reproduced without their written permission. For permission to reprint or use Associated Press (AP) or United Press International (UPI) photographs contact them at the following addresses:
Dr. Charles C. Colley, Director of Special Collections, and Fort Worth lawyer, Jenkins Garrett, were actively involved in bringing the Fort Worth Star-Telegram Collection to UT Arlington. The university administration under President Wendell Nedderman and the university libraries director, John A. Hudson, gave their full support. Meetings that culminated in the donation agreement began in 1983, after Colley learned the newspaper was seeking a permanent custodian for their archives. Capitol Cities corporate headquarters and the administrative and editorial/library management staff of the Star-Telegram approved the donation of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram’s archives to Special Collections in 1983. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram archives donated the collection in increments from late June to October 1984. Subsequent donations of negatives were received in 1989, 1996, and 1999, while Dr. Gerald D. Saxon was Associate Director for Special Collections and Branch Libraries and Sally Gross was Head of Special Collections.
Fort Worth Star-Telegram Collection, AR406, Series 5, Box Number, Folder Number, Special Collections, The University of Texas at Arlington Library.
Finding aid prepared by the staff of the Special Collections Division, July 1999, Revised November 2001.