University of Texas Arlington

William J. Bardin Family Papers:

A Guide



Descriptive Summary

Creator: Bardin, William J., 1905-
Title: William J. Bardin Family Papers
Inclusive Dates: 1893-1995
Abstract: The papers document the Bardin Family and the history of Arlington, Texas, through manuscripts, photographs, and related material collected by William J. Bardin. Photographs, ca. 1880s-1920s, depict families and schools in Tarrant County communities, namely Arlington, Fish Creek, Johnson Station, Keller, Rendon, and Sublett. Correspondence, photographs, and newspaper clippings document the life of Bardin’s mother, Beatrice Bardin, an early Tarrant County school teacher. Also included are abstracts and a Southern Arlington Land Use planning map, 1971, which describe Bardin Family land; a photocopy of an unpublished history of the Witness Tree, a Tarrant County landmark; photographs and newspaper clippings about Arlington Downs Racetrack as well as a blue print of the track, 1936, drawn by Harry B. Friedman of Fort Worth. Printed items include broadsides, maps, issues of Texas Highways, Horsemen's Journal, the Fort Worth News-Tribune, and the Arlington Journal.
Identification: AR433
Extent: 0.75 linear feet
Language: Materials are in English.
Repository: Special Collections, The University of Texas at Arlington Library

Biographical Note

The Bardins have lived in Tarrant County, Texas, since the late 1870s, when James P. Bardin moved with his parents to Johnson Station from Tupelo, Mississippi. Johnson Station, known today as Arlington, Texas, was a stagecoach and Texas Rangers hub in the late 1800s and had one of the first U. S. post offices in Tarrant County. James P. Bardin grew up in Johnson Station, as did his wife, Beatrice Putman Bardin. The Bardins and Putmans were among the early pioneering families to settle in the area. James and Beatrice graduated from Fish Creek High School in 1894, and were married in 1903 at the Renovo Church by Pastor W. A. Pool. Their son, William J. Bardin, was born in 1905. He was the first of five children. In 1910, they purchased a 133-acre farm where they lived and raised their children. Their farm was located at what is now the corner of Cooper Street and Bardin Road, a quarter mile south of Interstate Highway 20, in Arlington, Texas. James P. Bardin died in 1957 and Beatrice Putman Bardin died in 1960. The William J. Bardin Family Papers focus primarily on William J. Bardin, Beatrice Putman Bardin, Arlington Downs Race Track, and the Bardin family farm.

William J. Bardin was born in Johnson Station, Texas, on February 26, 1905. He grew up with his siblings (Kenneth, Woodrow, Harold, & Ruth) on the family farm. He attended Johnson Station and Arlington schools, graduating from Arlington High School in 1924. His graduating class is credited with choosing Arlington High's school colors (green & white) and mascot (Colts). After attending North Texas Agricultural College for two years, Mr. Bardin took a surveying job for the Tarrant County Engineering Department. That summer job turned into a life-long profession. Mr. Bardin worked for fifty years in construction, as a surveyor, field engineer, and construction superintendent, even though he never took an engineering course in college. For the last 15 years of his career, he worked as a construction superintendent out of Houston, Texas. He worked on such Texas landmarks as Houston International Airport, Texarkana Federal Prison, Fort Worth's Casa Manana & Botanic Gardens, Arlington Downs Race Track, and countless highways and roads for the Texas State Highway Department. Mr. Bardin retired and returned to Arlington in 1979, where he currently lives with his wife, Mrs. Omega Bardin.

In 1882, at age three, Mrs. James P. (Beatrice Putman) Bardin moved with her parents from Alabama to Johnson Station, Texas. In 1886, Beatrice and her parents visited the first State Fair of Texas held in Dallas. Beatrice Bardin attended Tarrant County schools and was one of the first students enrolled at Arlington College. After graduating college, she taught at Pantego, Rendon, Keller, and Johnson Station schools. She was a longtime PTA member and served for ten years as school board trustee and secretary for the school board. Beatrice Bardin was honored in 1929, when a mile long road adjacent to her farm was named Bardin Road, by then Tarrant County Engineer Mr. Weslie Stevens. Bardin Road runs east/west and is 4/10 of a mile south of Interstate Highway 20, off of Cooper Street. Mrs. Beatrice Putman Bardin lived on the family farm until her death in 1960.


Scope and Contents

The Bardin Family Papers focus primarily on William J. Bardin, Beatrice Putman Bardin, Arlington Downs Race Track, and the Bardin family farm. There is not much material concerning Mr. James P. Bardin. Items include newspaper clippings, photographs, printed materials, letters, correspondence, newsletters/programs, memorabilia, maps, blueprints, and land abstracts.

Series One, titled the Bardin Family, consists of four folders of printed materials, correspondence, memorabilia, and newspaper articles. These items pertain to William J. Bardin and Beatrice Putman Bardin, with a date range of 1899 to 1995, n.d. Noteworthy items include a letter of condolence from the Masons to the Bardin family concerning the death of James P. Bardin, a thirty-three-page oral history of William J. Bardin, two of Mrs. James P. Bardin's teacher certificates, and a petition by Johnson Station citizens, who were fighting to keep their school from being consolidated with the Pantego School District.

Series Two, titled Schools, consists of four folders of printed materials, correspondence, newspaper articles, and memorabilia concerning the schools in which William J. Bardin and Mrs. James P. (Beatrice Putman) Bardin attended. The materials date from 1923 to 1994, n.d. Noteworthy items include Arlington High School 1924 Commencement Exercises Programs, newspaper articles concerning Arlington High School class reunions for 1920s alumni, 1939 Souvenir Program for an Arlington High School Bi-District Championship Football game, and two newspaper programs featuring high school football, including articles and photographs that refer to William Bardin and the Arlington High School football teams of 1919-1927.

Series Three, titled Arlington Downs Race Track, consists of one folder of printed materials, newspaper articles, and photographs concerning Arlington Downs Race Track, with a date range of 1936 to 1993, n.d. Noteworthy items include two Race Day Programs for 1937.

Series Four, titled Community, consists of six folders of printed materials, newspaper articles, and photographs concerning the cities of Arlington and Fort Worth, with a date range of 1925 to 1992. Noteworthy items include historical articles, political newsletters, an issue of The Fielder Foundation newsletter, and two issues of The Searchlight newspaper.

Series Five, titled Bardin Property, consists of three folders of legal documents concerning the Bardin family farm, with a date range of 1910 to 1991. Noteworthy items include Abstracts of Title, Warranty Deeds and a photo-journal titled The Witness Tree, which showcases the move of a 300-year-old oak tree that was located on the Bardin farm.

Series Six, titled Photographs, consists of seven folders of photographs with a date range of 1893 to 1980s, n.d. Noteworthy are photographs of William Bardin at ages 1-2 and 24, Mr. & Mrs. James P. Bardin when they attended Fish Creek Grade School, Arlington High School 1923 Baseball Team, Arlington High School 1920s alumni during several class reunions, Liberty Bell Day float taken in a Fort Worth parade, and Arlington Downs Race Track aerial photographs.

Series Seven, titled Oversize Photographs, consists of four folders of photographs in an oversize flat box with a date range of 1893 to 1923. Noteworthy are photographs of the Arlington High School Baseball team in 1923, Mansfield High School graduating Class of 1914, Keller High School students in 1903, and several Arlington pioneer families (which included the Bardins, Mayfields, Lowes, Putmans, and Stricklands families) at a picnic on Fish Creek in 1893. An Arlington High class photo, 1923, is in Map Annex drawer 106

Series Eight, titled Maps, consists of a 1929 blueprint map of Arlington Downs Race Track and a Land Tract map of the Bardin farm, n.d. As surveyor and engineer for the construction of Arlington Downs, William J. Bardin made the blueprint map of the track. These two maps are stored in Map Annex Drawer 110.


 

Organization

The William J. Bardin Family Papers are organized in eight series and consist of 29 folders. Most of the series are arranged alphabetically by folder topic and chronologically thereunder. The Bardin Family Papers are stored in one and a half legal size manuscript boxes, one oversize flat box, and two map drawers, totaling 0.75 linear feet.
Series I. Bardin Family, 1899-1995, n.d. 0.135 linear feet (4 legal size folders)
Series II. Schools, 1923-1994, n.d. 0.131 linear ft. (4 legal size folders)
Series III. Arlington Downs Race Track, 1936-1993, n.d. 0.026 linear ft. (1 legal size folder)
Series IV. Community, 1925-1992. 0.205 linear ft. (6 legal size folders)
Series V. Bardin Property, 1910-1991. 0.101 linear ft. (3 legal size folders)
Series VI. Photographs, 1893-1980s, n.d. 0.246 linear ft. (7 legal size folders)
Series VII. Oversize Photographs, 1893-1923. 0.135 linear ft. (4 folders in 1 OS flat box)
Series VIII. Maps, 1929, n.d. 0.025 linear feet. (two oversize items)

Restrictions

Access

Open for research.

Handling the Materials

Some of the older photographs are in poor condition. Please do not remove them from their Mylar folders.

Literary Rights

Permission to publish, reproduce, distribute, or use by any and all other current or future developed methods or procedures must be obtained in writing from Special Collections, The University of Texas at Arlington Library. All rights are reserved and retained regardless of current or future development or laws that may apply to fair use standards.


Index Terms

These materials are indexed under the following headings in the catalog of The University of Texas at Arlington Library. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons or places should search the catalog using these headings.
Persons
Bardin, William J., 1905-
Bardin, Beatrice
Bardon family.
Subjects
Witness Tree (Arlington, Tex.)--History
Places
Arlington (Tex.)--History.
Tarrant County (Tex.)--History, Local.
Arlington Downs ( Arlington, Tex.)
Alternate Titles
Historical Manuscripts Collection.
Bardin family papers
Bardin papers

Related Material

For additional information about Mr. Bardin and his family, please see Oral History of William J. (Bill) Bardin. The oral history on Mr. Bardin was compiled in 1995, by Mary E. Penson. The book can be found in the Arlington Public Library at reference number, GEN REF WZ. 29 Bardin. A copy of the book was added to this collection.


Separated Material

Two 1/8″× 2.5′× 2.5′ pieces of plywood with photographs and newspaper articles concerning Arlington Downs Race Track, glued/taped on them. The articles were copied onto acidfree paper and put in acidfree folders. The photograph was put in mylar, in an acidfree folder.

One 2′× 2.5′ wooden & glass picture frame that contained an issue of The Arlington Citizen-Journal newspaper (50th Anniversary Edition) dated 7/30/1948.

Eight issues of the Texas Highways magazine (1974-1986).

Eight issues of the Horsemen's Journal magazine (1970-1988).

Fifty issues of the Fort Worth News-Tribune newspaper, which included the following "In Old Fort Worth" articles, written by Mack Williams and other noted Fort Worth citizens (1970-1986). Special Collections has a complete run of this newspaper.

Article Name and Date of Issue:

1980 Articles

The General Who Founded Churches 07/11/80

When The North Side Had 11 Homes 07/18

When Churches Flourished Downtown 08/20

The Wheel Turns Again: Electric Cars Are Coming Back 09/05

The Fort Worth Flier Saved From the Nazis 09/12

When Mother Prepared Her Own Bacon 09/19

How the Ranchers Tamed the Rustlers 09/26

How They Built Fort Worth's First Church 10/03

Printing Firm Marks 75th Anniversary Here 10/03

When The City Lost A Top Leader (H. B. Chamberlain) 10/10

Barbed Wire vs. the Cowboy 10/17

Keeping House Kept Mother Busy 10/24

The City's Greatest Growth 10/31

No Service Brought Suburbs In 11/07

How The First Industry Was Born 11/14

Grandpa Never Wore A Gun 11/28

A Plaque For Al Hayne 12/05

When Cattle Drives Thundered Through Town 12/12

A City of Legal Luminaries 12/19

No ""In Old Fort Worth"" article found? 12/26

1981 Articles

No ""In Old Fort Worth"" article found 01/02/81

The Day the Masons Got Their Temple 01/09

They Named Taylor Street After Him 01/16

The Day They Opened The Texas (hotel) 01/23

The Day They Invented Rodeo 01/30

Where History Was Made 02/13

Thousands of Aircraft Engineers 02/20

Tarrant's First Purchasing Agent 02/27

The First Hundred Years (by Boyce House) 03/06

The First Hundred Years (by Boyce House) 03/13

Relaxing in Hell's Half Acre 03/20

First Editor Slain by Rival 03/27

Everyone Loved the Police Band 04/03

How the Rangers Tamed the Outlaws 04/10

Where Kimbell Hung First Paintings 04/24

The Tarrant Boy Who Founded Britain's Air Force, Samuel (Sam) F. Cody Jr. 05/08

The Story of Sam Cody - Part 2 05/15

The Story of Sam Cody - Part 3 05/22

The Story of Sam Cody - Part 4 05/29

The Story of Sam Cody - Part 6 06/12

The Story of Sam Cody - Part 7 06/19

The Story of Sam Cody - Part 8 06/26

The Story of Sam Cody - Part 9 07/03

The Story of Sam Cody - Part 10 07/10

The Story of Sam Cody - Part 11 07/17

The Story of Sam Cody - Part 13 07/31

The Story of Sam Cody - Conclusion 08/07

When Mother Prepared Her Own Bacon (by Landon Bell) 08/14

Keeping House Kept Mother Busy 08/21

Barbed Wire vs. the Cowboy 08/28

When Our County Was Navarro 09/04

Frontier Fun 100 Years Ago 09/11

How Panther City Was Born 09/18

When the City Turned 100 10/02

When Cattle Drives Thundered Through Town 10/09

Tarrant's Longtime Sheriff 10/16

The Rise Of The Crimson Limited 10/23

All About General Worth 10/30

Friends of the Girls 11/06

The Real Lyndon Johnson 11/27

Pre-War Styles 12/04

When War Started Out Like a Game 12/11

1922 Flood that hit N. Side Hard & Led to Forming of Tarrant Co. Water Board 12/25

1982 Articles

New Year's Eve Half a Century Ago 01/01/82

Article not titled, but is about advertisements during 1930s 01/15

FDR and Fort Worth 01/22

The Man Who Founded Fort Worth 02/05

The Ripley Arnold Story - Part II 02/12

The Ripley Arnold Story - Part IV 02/26

The Ripley Arnold Story - Part V 03/05

The Ripley Arnold Story - Part VI 03/12

Pre-War Styles WWI 03/19

Niles City to Become Historical Site Next Week 03/26

Up The Chisholm Trail 04/02

Who Shot Down the Red Baron? 04/09

How Wright Saved Jobs of GD Workers in Crisis 04/16

Good Old Days at La Grave Field (originally written in 1977 by J. Hybarger Jr.) 04/23

Memories of Early-Day Lawyers 04/30

Article not titled: about Fort Worth Flooding 05/07

Article not titled: about early phonographs & a 1918 Fort Worth newspaper ad 05/14

For Girls, a Home Away from Home (YWCA) 05/21

YMCA - The Early Days 05/28

Article not titled: about Fort Worth in 1920s (written by Fort Worth resident J. G. Goodwin) 06/04

The Battling Newsboys on Front Street 06/18

When the Flappers Came to Town (written by Fort Worth resident James G. Goodwin) 06/25

The Man Who Wouldn't Give Up, Louis Chevrolet 07/02

The Cowboy Who Shunned Hell's Half Acre 07/09

The World of Turner & Dingee 07/16

Growing Up on the old North Side (written by Fort Worth resident Ruby Moody Sears) 07/30

When Doctors Made House Calls (written by Fort Worth resident Ruby Moody Sears) 08/06

Flu Killed Many in WW I (written by Fort Worth resident James G. Goodwin) 08/13

Living Through the Depression (written by Fort Worth resident Ruby Moody Sears) 08/20

The Search For Mary's Family 08/27

Remember the Watermelon Gardens ((written by Fort Worth resident J. G. Goodwin) 09/03

The Death of Yellow Bear (written by Dorothy Emerson Yeager) 09/10

A Letter to Greenback 09/17

Dining Out 50 Years Ago 10/01

County's First 50 Years 10/09

The First Hundred Years (2 copies of this issue) 10/15

Growing Up in TCU (written by Fort Worth resident James G. Goodwin) 10/22

No"In Old Fort Worth" article found 10/29

They'll Blow Taps at 11 A. M. 11/05

When Hot Type Printing Flourished 11/12

When Doctors Got $3.00 Per House Call 11/19

The Day They Lit Up Downtown (xmas lights) 11/26

Bewley Flour and the Upper Crust 12/03

Forty Papers Went To Press Here 12/10

When $10.00 Brought Millions 12/17

Broadway Baptist Turns 100 (church) 12/24

New Year's Eve Half a Century Ago 12/31

1983 Articles

Those Polite Texans of 100 Years Ago 01/07/83

Starting a Car Was Hard Work (written by Fort Worth resident James G. Goodwin) 01/14

They Named Taylor Street After Him (Col. Richard H. Taylor of Bonham) 01/21

How the Rangers Tamed the Outlaws 01/28

One Riot, One Ranger (written by Fort Worth journalist Oliver Knight) 02/04

Where History Was Made 02/18

The Day the Ad Clubs Came to Town (written by Fort Worth Ad Agent Neil Ross) 02/25

Fort Worth Schools to Mark Centennial 03/04

The Day Lily Clayton Arrived 03/11

Roosevelt and Fort Worth 03/18

The Day Mrs. Burnett Phoned (written by Eugenia Trinkle) 03/25

No "In Old Fort Worth" article found 04/01

Mayor Bryce and His Building (written by Irivn Farman 04/08

The Sergeant Who Stayed 04/15

When a Dollar Went a Long Way written by Ruby Moody Sears 04/22

Memories of Early Day-Laywers 04/29

The Night Casa Came Back 05/06

Article not titled: about Fort Worth Flooding 05/13

The First Man Who Flew Into Town 05/20

Downtown Rotary is 70 Today 05/27

Another Chapter for El Tesoro 06/03

Here's What Fort Worth Looked Like in 1891, .. 06/10

1984 Articles

Trying to Stay Alive in Prison Camp 09/07/84

First Auto Show Brought $75,000.00 in Sales 11/16

Other newspapers that were deaccessioned include:

Issue of The Arlington Citizen-Journal newspaper (photocopied several articles about Johnson Station & Arlington) 02/25/1976

Part of an issue of the Star-Telegram newspaper (photocopied several articles about Johnson Station & Arlington) 04/15/1979

Issue of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram newspaper 11/05/1980

Issue of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram newspaper 12/07/1982

Part of an issue of The Arlington Daily News newspaper 07/24/1983

Part of an issue of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram newspaper 10/08/1983

Issue of The Arlington Citizen-Journal newspaper (photocopied several articles about Johnson Station and Arlington) 07/01/1984

Part of an issue of The Arlington Citizen-Journal newspaper. (photocopied several articles about Arlington & Johnson Station. 07/04/1985

Issue of The Arlington Citizen-Journal newspaper (photocopied articles about Arlington) 7/2&3/1986

Part of an issue of The Dallas Morning News newspaper 06/14/1987

Part of an issue of Arlington News newspaper 11/15/1989

Part of an issue of Fort Worth Star-Telegram 05/19/1991


Administrative Information

Citation

William J. Bardin Family Papers, AR433, Box Number, Folder Number, Special Collections, The University of Texas at Arlington Library.

Provenance

The William J. Bardin Family Papers were donated to Special Collections, The University of Texas at Arlington Library, on March 1, 1994, by Mr. William J. Bardin. The records were accessioned as number 94-14.

Processing Information

Finding aid prepared by Nigel R. Parker, November 2001.

There was no order to the collection, so the materials were divided into series and then alphabetically by folder topic and chronologically thereunder. The newspaper articles were copied onto acid-free paper; and the original clippings were deaccessioned, as were numerous newspapers, duplicate items, two plywood frames, and eight issues of Texas Highways and Horsemen's Journal magazines. Please see the Materials Removed List for details concerning the deaccessioned items.


Container List

 

Series I.
Bardin Family, 1899-1995, n.d.
0.135 linear feet (4 legal size folders)

Arranged alphabetically by folder topic and chronologically thereunder. Items include newspaper articles with photographs, correspondence, letters, memorabilia, and printed material concerning William (Bill) J. Bardin and family.
Box Folder
1 1 Mrs. James P. Bardin (Beatrice Putman Bardin), 1899-1959, n.d.
Contains printed material, correspondence, and newspaper articles concerning Mrs. James P. Bardin. Noteworthy items include a copy photograph of Mrs. Bardin; copies of two of Mrs. Bardin's teacher certificates; six newspaper articles featuring Mrs. Bardin; two letters addressed to Mrs. Bardin from James Stewart, the general manager of the State Fair of Texas; Mrs. Bardin's newspaper obituary; and a petition spearheaded by Mrs. Bardin and signed by Johnson Station citizens against a beer distribution agency.
2 William (Bill) J. Bardin, 1933-1994, n.d.
Contains correspondence, printed material, and newspaper articles concerning William J. Bardin. Printed material consists of a certificate of condolence titled "Resolutions of Respect" from the Masons to the Bardin Family concerning the death of William's father, Mr. James P. Bardin; six letters to/from William Bardin: (1) to Dallas Mayor R. L Thornton from William Bardin, (2) to William Bardin from S. M. Bennett, (3) to Beatrice Short from Ann Basstable and given to William Bardin, (4) to William Bardin from Bartee Haile, (5) to William Bardin from Ardell Tomlin, and (6) to William Bardin from the National Archives & Records Administration; five newspaper articles/photographs that feature the Bardin family and Arlington Colts' third annual alumni baseball game.
3 William (Bill) J. Bardin College Memorabilia, 1976
Contains a NTAC nametag for William J. Bardin with an attached ribbon with the words, "N.T.A.C. Class of 1926, 50 Years," and a three-inch seal/sticker with the words, "The North Texas Agricultural College."
4 William (Bill) J. Bardin Oral History, 1995
Contains a thirty-three page oral history transcript based on interviews with William Bardin. The oral history of Mr. Bardin was collected over several sessions in 1995. Titled Oral History of William J. (Bill) Bardin, the transcript was compiled by Mary E. Penson.



 

Series II.
Schools, 1923-1994, n.d.
0.131 linear ft. (4 legal size folders)

Arranged alphabetically by folder topic and chronologically thereunder. Items include newspaper articles and photographs, correspondence, letters, telephone directories, memorabilia, and sports newsletters/programs concerning schools attended by Beatrice Putman Bardin and William J. Bardin.
Box Folder
1 5 Alumni Directories, 1959-1982
Contains four Arlington High School telephone directories for alumni from the 1920s; and an Arlington College telephone directory for alumni students & faculty from 1895, with an attached document titled Information Needed for History of Arlington College.
6 Arlington High School Alumni, 1964-1980s, n.d.
Contains printed material and newspaper articles. Noteworthy items include a document with the words "Arlington High School The Green & White Colt Class 1924, 1924-40-1964"; newspaper clippings of Arlington High School Alumni; a letter written by an Arlington High School alumnus, Corey Ford, titled, "It's Later Than You Think," which reflects on how long it has been since graduation; and seven newspaper articles featuring Arlington High School 1920s alumni class reunions.
7 Arlington High School Sports, 1939-1994, n.d.
Contains correspondence and newspaper articles. Noteworthy items include a 1939 Souvenir Program for a Bi-District Championship Football game between Arlington and Garland high schools; two newspaper yearbook guides featuring the 1988 & 1990 Arlington High School football teams; a letter & photographs to William Bardin from J. A. Tomlin concerning the 1919 & 1923 Arlington High School Football teams; and a letter & photograph to Gerald Brown from William Bardin concerning the 1923 Arlington High School Baseball Team. Also take note of the articles & photographs in the 1988 & 1990 football yearbook guides that refer to William Bardin and the Arlington High School football teams of 1919 and 1927.
8 The Early Years, 1923-1924
Contains printed material and newspaper articles concerning schools where William Bardin and Mr. & Mrs. James P. Bardin attended. Noteworthy items include Arlington High School 1924 Commencement Exercises Program and three newspaper articles about Arlington High School's Interscholastic League and Athletics; and two Fish Creek photos from an unknown newspaper.



 

Series III.
Arlington Downs Race Track, 1936-1993, n.d.
0.026 linear ft. (1 legal size folder)

Arranged chronologically. Items include newspaper articles with photographs and printed material concerning the Arlington Downs Race Track.
Box Folder
1 9 Arlington Downs Race Track, 1936-1993, n.d.
Contains numerous newspaper articles with photographs (including copies of the articles that were taped onto the two 3×3′ plywood posters), and printed materials concerning Arlington Downs Race Track. Noteworthy items include two Race Day Programs for 1937.



 

Series IV.
Community, 1925-1992, n.d.
0.205 linear ft. (6 legal size folders)

Arranged alphabetically by folder topic and chronologically thereunder. Materials include newspaper articles, community and political newsletters, a 1970s AAA road map, and ephemera.
Box Folder
1 10 Fielder Foundation Newsletter, 1990
Contains an issue of The Fielder Foundation newsletter.
11 Historical Newspaper Articles, 1970-1992, n.d.
Contains numerous newspaper articles concerning the history of Arlington, Fort Worth, and Johnson Station. Noteworthy items include articles that concern William Bardin and his family dated July 1, 1984, July 4, 1985, June 1, 1988, December 20, 1989, and May 19, 1991. Also, note William Bardin's handwritten comments on several articles, including an article dated April 16, 1971, with a 1923 photograph of Loyalty Square in Cow Town Fort Worth.
12 Map and Ephemera, 1972-1976
Contains AAA road map for the central U. S. States and an envelope that celebrates Arlington's Centennial with the City's logo and several historical illustrations on it.
13 Political Newsletters, n.d.
Contains two political newsletters listing the position of then Texas gubernatorial candidates Jim Ferguson and Lynch Davidson on the "Prohibition Question" and "Gambling," and asking people to vote for Lynch Davidson.
14 School Consolidation Petition, 1953
Contains a petition campaigned by Mrs. James P. Bardin and signed by the citizens of Johnson Station who were fighting to keep their school from being consolidated with Pantego School District. Please take note of William Bardin's handwritten notes.
15 The Searchlight Newspaper, 1925-1926
Contains two issues of The Searchlight newspaper edited by J. Frank Norris. Both are extremely fragile.



 

Series V.
Bardin Property, 1910-1991
0.101 linear ft. (3 legal size folders)

Arranged alphabetically by folder topic and chronologically thereunder. Materials include original land abstracts, warranty deeds, and a photo-journal that showcases the move of a 300-year-old oak tree that was located on the Bardin family farm.
Box Folder
1 16 Farm Abstracts and Legal Documents, 1910-1944
Contains Abstracts of Title, Warranty Deeds, Insurance Affidavits, and other legal documents concerning the Bardin family farm that James P. Bardin purchased in 1910.
17 Farm Abstract of Title, 1938
Contains an Abstract of Title for the Bardin Family farm.
Box Folder
2 1 The Witness Tree, 1991
Contains a copy of a photo-journal, written by Dr. Robert E. Moon & Associates Horticultural Consultants, which documents the move of the 300-year-old oak tree that was located on the Bardin family farm. The tree was named The Witness Tree because, being 300 years old, it had witnessed so much of the region's history.



 

Series VI.
Photographs, 1893-1980s, n.d.
0.246 linear ft. (7 legal size folders)

Arranged alphabetically by folder topic and chronologically thereunder. The folders contain more than thirty school, family, and community photographs relating to the Bardin family and the Tarrant County area.
Box Folder
2 2 Area Schools, 1893-1921, 1961, n.d.
Contains eight school photographs for James P. Bardin, Mrs. James P. Bardin (Beatrice Putman Bardin) and William J. Bardin. Noteworthy items include photographs of an 1893 Fish Creek grade school class that includes Mr. and Mrs. James P. Bardin; Mrs. James P. Bardin with her students at Rendon School in 1898; students from an 1896 Arlington College class, with a 1961 newspaper article attached to it that discusses the history of Arlington College; students from a 1907 Fish Creek School class; William Bardin in his 1912 class; students from a 1921 Johnson Station School class; and students from two Fish Creek School classes in pictures that are not dated.
3 Arlington Downs Race Track, 1933-1935, ca. 1980s
Contains four photographs of Arlington Downs Race Track. Noteworthy items include two aerial photographs of Arlington Downs; and photographs of the Arlington Downs' ticket windows and historical marker.
4 Arlington High School, 1924-1980s
Contains eight photographs of Arlington High School students and alumni that includes William Bardin. Noteworthy items include photographs of William Bardin with his Arlington High School graduating Class of 1924; 1923 Arlington High School Football Team; and Arlington High School Alumni from the combined 1920s class reunions. The four class reunion photographs are not dated but were taken in the 1970s and 1980s.
5 Community, 1915-1940s
Contains four photographs concerning the community of Arlington. Noteworthy items include photographs of the historical Arlington Mineral Well Water store; a 1915 Liberty Bell Day parade float taken in Fort Worth; and two other Arlington businesses.
6 Mrs. James P. Bardin (Beatrice Putman Bardin), n.d.
Contains two photographs and one negative of Mrs. James P. Bardin (Beatrice Putman Bardin) as an adult.
7 The Bardin Family, 1906-1933, n.d.
Contains seven photographs of the Bardin family. Noteworthy items include photographs of the original Bardin family from Tupelo, Mississippi, and William Bardin's birthplace, which is located where Cravens Park is located today.
8 William J. Bardin, 1907-1922
Contains two photographs and two negatives of William Bardin when he was 1-2 years old and in his early twenties.



 

Series VII.
Oversize Photographs, 1893-1923
0.135 linear ft. (4 folders in 1 OS flat box)

Arranged alphabetically by folder topic. The folders contain four oversize school and Bardin family photographs. The panorama of Arlington High School, 1923, is in the Map Annex drawer 106. OS300
Box Folder
2 1 Arlington High School Baseball Team, 1923
Contains a photograph of the 1923 Arlington High School Baseball Team.
2 Keller High School, 1903
Contains a Keller School photograph that includes Mrs. James P. Bardin (Beatrice Putman Bardin).
3 Mansfield High School, 1914
Contains a photograph of the 1914 Mansfield High School graduating class.
4 "The Putman Picture," 1893
Contains a photograph called The Putman Picture, taken on Fish Creek. Featured in the photograph are several Arlington pioneer families, including the Bardin, Mayfield, Lowe, Putman, and Strickland families.
Box Folder
Map Annex Drawer 106 Arlington High School students in front of building, 1923.



 

Series VIII.
Maps, 1929, n.d.
0.025 linear feet. (two oversize items)

Materials include a framed blueprint map of Arlington Downs Race Track and a Land Tract map of the Bardin family farm, both housed in Map Annex Drawer 110.
Box Folder
Map Annex Drawer 110 Bardin Land Tract Map, n.d.
Contains a Tract Map of southern Arlington, showing The Bardin Land Tract.
110 Arlington Downs Horse Race Track, 1929
Contains a blueprint map of Arlington Downs Horse Race Track.