University of Texas at Austin, School of Architecture.
An Inventory of the Collection, 1911-ongoing, undated , bulk 1960-1992
The School of Architecture was established within UT's Engineering Department in 1910, when Dean T.U. Taylor of the Department of Engineering appointed Hugo F. Kuehne the School of Architecture's first faculty member. The university's first degree in Architecture was granted to Bertram E. Giesecke in 1913. In 1920, the Department of Engineering became the College of Engineering, and the School of Architecture became the Department of Architecture within the College of Engineering.
The Department was granted membership in the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture in 1925. 1927 saw the Department move from its original home in the Engineering Building to B Hall (now destroyed), a move necessitated by the Department's growth.
The Department of Architectural Engineering was associated with the Department of Architecture from its inception in 1928 until 1951, when it was granted autonomy. The Association of Student Architects also was created in 1928, the Wind-Up, the Association's annual year-end event, is well documented in the records. Student enrollment stood at 115 in 1929, and 200 in 1930.
In 1930, $300,000 was budgeted for a new Architecture building; Goldsmith Hall, designed by Paul Phillipe Cret, was completed in 1933. The program was accredited by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards in 1935, and the Department was accredited by the National Architecture Accrediting Board in 1940.
Student enrollment stood at 600 in 1948. A "semiautonomous school," a division of the College of Engineering, was created that year and granted full autonomy in 1951. The Advisory Council of the School of Architecture was formed in 1970, and the Dean's Council was formed in 1974.
Case files, memoranda, correspondence, reports, scrapbooks, and photographs record the activities of the School of Architecture of the University of Texas at Austin, 1911-ongoing (bulk 1960-2002). The records document the evolution of the school from a small unit within the University of Texas Department of Engineering to an independent and prestigious School of Architecture.
The School of Architecture Archives is an artificial collection of materials relating to or created by school offices, faculty members, students, and alumni of the School of Architecture.
This finding aid is under revision. Please contact the archive's staff for more information.
Policies Governing Use and Access
This collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using archival materials. As all or portions of this collection may be housed off-site, advance notice of at least three working days is required for retrieval. Certain items may require additional time for flattening or humidifying before they can be viewed. Access is by appointment only. Please contact the archives' reference staff for further information.
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasions of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person).
The Alexander Architectural Archives operate in accordance with applicable federal or state laws and regulations, providing unrestricted access to university records not covered by state and federal right to privacy acts.
The Alexander Architectural Archives, The University of Texas Libraries, and The University of Texas at Austin, assume no responsibility for infringement of literary property rights and copyright or for liability to any person for defamation or invasion of privacy that results from a researcher's use of collections.
Researchers agree to indemnify and hold harmless The University of Texas at Austin, and their officers, employees, and agents from and against all suits, claims, actions, and expenses arising out of use of collections held by the libraries. Please alert staff if anything inappropriate is found during research.
Copyright interests in this collection may not have been transferred to the University of Texas. Researchers assume full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply. Additionally, the public use of material must be cited. See citation information below.
University of Texas at Austin, School of Architecture Archives, Alexander Architectural Archives, University of Texas Libraries, The University of Texas at Austin
Initial processing by Merilee Atos, Holly King, Stephen Naron, May 2, 2002, for Professor David Gracy, Introduction to Archival Enterprise (LIS 389C.1), Spring 2002. This finding aid is currently under revision. Please see the archive's staff for more information.
Other Finding Aids
Unpublished inventory in archive.