Theo S. Maffitt and Theodore S. Maffitt:
An Inventory of their Drawings, c.1914-1981
Theo S. (born Theodore Stuart) Maffitt was born April 6, 1895 in Palestine, Texas, the city whose architecture he was later greatly to affect. Educated at the University of Texas School of Architecture from 1913-1916, he subsequently studied navigation at the University of California prior to entering the Navy's Officers Material School where he was an ensign. While there he worked as a draftsman for Neff and Thompson of Norfolk, Virginia. After the end of World War I he returned to Palestine and established his first firm, Maffitt and Price, Architects in 1919. Two years later he continued practice on his own as Theo S. Maffitt, Architect, concentrating on projects in Anderson County, Texas, and especially the town of Palestine. He was active in the community, serving as director of the Anderson County Chamber of Commerce for four decades and as chairman of several city planning committees. During World War II he was a major in the U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers from 1942-1945. He was a member of the Dallas Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, and served as its Vice President in 1950. His son, Theodore (Ted) S. Maffitt, Jr. joined his practice, renamed Theo S. Maffitt and Theodore S. Maffitt, Jr., in 1948.
Theodore (Ted) S. Maffitt, Jr. was born March 11, 1923 in Palestine, Texas. He earned his architecture degree in 1944 (or 1948) from Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas. During World War II he saw active duty as a captain in the U.S. Army Infantry from 1942-1946. After the war he continued service in the Texas National Guard. He joined his father's Palestine architecture practice in 1948, beginning as draftsman and becoming a full partner in 1951. He continued the practice after his father's death under the name of Ted Maffitt & Associates, Architects, Planners and Consultants. He was a member of the Northeast Texas Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and was its secretary, then director, inthe late 1970s. He retired in 1981 and for the next ten years taught at his alma mater, also serving as Assistant Department Head and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. While there he received the Llewelyn W. Pitts Award from the Texas Society of Architects.
The 150 rolls and approximately 2,200 flat sheets of mostly original pencil on trace paper drawings include residential, commercial, church, school, and hospital projects completed between 1919 and 1981, predominantly in Palestine and Anderson County, Texas. Two buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places: the Anderson County Jail and Lincoln High School (now the Anderson County Community Council Community Center), which once served as the city's only high school for its African American youth.
Restrictions on Access
Access is by appointment only to any serious scholar. Rolled materials must be flattened before viewing. A three-day advance notice is required to flatten rolled materials. Portions of this collection are not processed and may not be accessible.
Restrictions on Use
Permission for publication is given on behalf of the University of Texas as the owner of the collection and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder which must be obtained by the researcher. For more information please see the Alexander Architectural Archive's Use Policy.
Theo S. Maffitt and Theodore S. Maffitt drawings, the Alexander Architectural Archive, the General Libraries, the University of Texas at Austin
Processing is not completed. Please see archival staff for more information.
Detailed Description of the Collection
This collection has not been processed. See archival staff for more information.