Houston Ship Channel 50th Anniversary Collection, 1926-1964
The Houston Ship Channel was established in 1914; however, Buffalo Bayou, which flows through Houston, had been used for boat navigation as early as 1839. In 1841, the mayor of Houston established the Port of Houston, which was supported by the city and later by the state of Texas. In 1880, Congressional legislation was introduced which began the involvement of the federal government in the Ship Channel.
The Houston Ship Channel was completed in 1914, although many additional improvements and changes have been made since that date. These include the dredging of the turning basin, allowing for larger ships to navigate the channel, and widening the entrance to the channel.
Several books have been written about the Port of Houston. For additional information, see:
There are 66 items in the collection, dating from 1926-1964. Included is a typed manuscript history of the Port of Houston and Buffalo Bayou, as well as a typed version of the ordinance establishing the Port of Houston, in 1841.
In addition are 40 photographic prints. The photographs include shots of an exhibit highlighting the history of the Port of Houston, as well as photographs from the fiftieth anniversary of the Port of Houston, taken on November 10, 1964. The anniversary photographs were taken at the Shamrock Hilton and on Wharf Number 25 at the Ship Channel. People in these photographs have not been identified.
Two items were removed from the collection for cataloging. One of the items is a pamphlet, “Buffalo Bayou and the Houston Ship Channel, 1820-1926.” The other item is a promotional broadside, showing the layout of the city of Houston and railroads in the area.
Open for research.
Special Collections owns the physical items in our collections, but copyright normally belongs to the creator of the materials or their heirs. The researcher has full responsibility for determining copyright status, locating copyright holders, and abiding by current copyright laws when publishing or displaying copies of Special Collections material in print or electronic form. For more information, consult the appropriate librarian.
The collection of materials was donated to Special Collections by Edward L. Horn in 1982.
Andrea Bean Hough, 1995.