Finding Aid for the David Hoffman Papers, 1989-1990
The building located at 695 Pearl in Beaumont, Texas, was originally built in 1903 and served as the home of First Baptist Church of Beaumont. The architect who designed the building was Alonzo N. Dawson of Fort Worth, a specialist in public buildings. It was a stone building in the Romanesque style enriched with Norman and Gothic elements. It is said to hint of France or Germany in the Middle Ages. Its stonework is exceptional with massive stone blocks placed in simple, straight lines and with towers, pointed arch gables and large rose windows. In 1924 the building was donated to the City of Beaumont by Captain W.C. Tyrrell, a Beaumont oil man and philanthropist. The building was given the name Tyrrell Public Library and served as the main library for over fifty years. When a new public library was constructed in 1975, the Tyrrell became a research library with archives and collections in genealogy, Texas history and local history. During this period, the building suffered decline and deterioration. With over $1.6 million provided by the City and the Tyrrell Historical Library Association, the building was completely restored and renovated in 1989 – 1990. The architect for the restoration was David Hoffman of Austin who was assisted by Milton Bell of Beaumont. The contractor was H.B. Neild & Sons, Inc. and the job superintendent was Gerald Fountain. The building reopened on July 29, 1990.
The collection contains two photograph albums with black-and-white and color photographs and a small grouping of color slides.
Some restrictions may apply.
The Tyrrell Historical Library does not hold copyright for most of its collections. The researcher must secure permission to publish. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the Tyrrell Historical Library. The researcher assumes full responsibility for complying with copyright, literary property rights, and libel laws.
[Identification of photograph or item], Folder Number, Box Number, David Hoffman Papers, AC-652, Tyrrell Historical Library, Beaumont, Texas.
Donated by David Hoffman in 2014 November.
Processed by Tyrrell Historical Library staff, 2015 January.
Finding aid revised and encoded by Tyrrell Historical Library staff, 2015 April.
Further accruals are expected.
Detailed Description of the Collection