Finding Aid for the Vallie Fletcher Taylor Photograph Collection on Spindletop, circa 1901
A.S. (Albert S.) Clark was born in South Carolina in the late 19th century, and married an Alabamian. They moved to Texas and started a family. At the time of the 1900 census, Clark lived in the town of Holland, in Bell County, Texas, with his family of four. His name first appears in the Beaumont city directory in 1900, so sometime between the census and the publication of the directory he had moved to Beaumont and begun a photography business. His name appears in the city directory only until 1902, and in 1910, his home was still at Holland, Texas. By 1930, he and his family had moved to Bartlett, Williamson County, Texas, and he continued his occupation of farming.
These photographs depict Beaumont in the midst of the oil boom after the discovery of Spindletop. There are three photographs of train station scenes, showing crowds of Spindletop visitors in period dress, horse carriages, and train cars. Three images depict the oil field with crowds of on-lookers and horses grazing, one of which displays two oil derricks, with one of them spouting oil. One image shows smoke filled air due to an oil fire that ignited at Spindletop. The last two images are Beaumont street scenes, with horse carriages and wagons, people in period dress, and buildings as they were in early 1900s Beaumont. Blevins & Oswald Real Estate clearly appears in one of the street scenes, and is listed in the 1901/1902 "Burchfield’s Directory of the City of Beaumont".
No restrictions. The collection is open for research.
The library does not hold the copyright to most of its archival collections. The researcher must secure those rights when needed, including permission to publish. The researcher assumes full responsibility for complying with copyright law.
[Identification of item], Vallie Fletcher Taylor Photograph Collection on Spindletop, circa 1901, AC-675, Tyrrell Historical Library, Beaumont, Texas.
Donated by Vallie Fletcher Taylor.
Finding aid revised and encoded by Tyrrell Historical Library staff, 2012 July.
Detailed Description of the Collection