TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Austin City Lots and Outlots Records, 1839-1890; 1957
After the land for the new capital (the new City of Austin) was sited in early 1839 by the Third Capital Commission appointed by President Lamar, the State initiated eminent domain proceedings to take possession of the land previously granted to other settlers. Once in possession, the town site was surveyed and divided into blocks and lots. Sale of the lots began in August of 1839.
Austin City Lots and Outlots Records contains 18 boxes of sales certificates and two bound index volumes. The sales certificates were issued by the Comptroller and indicate receipt of payment for Austin city lots and outlots, and authorize the General Land Office to issue a patent.
The slimmer bound volume is a surname index to the City of Austin Register of lots and outlots sold. Additions of names were added in blue ink in 1957 by some unknown person. The Register itself lists City lots and outlots, when the land was patented and by whom.
Conditions Governing Access note
Conditions Governing Use note
Most records created by Texas state agencies are not copyrighted and may be freely used in any way. State records also include materials received by, not created by, state agencies. Copyright remains with the creator. The researcher is responsible for complying with U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.).
Austin City Lots and Outlots Records (AR.30). Archives and Records Program, Texas General Land Office, Austin.
Materials have been digitized. See the Texas General Land Office Land Grant Database Input: Class: Austin City Lots
Copies can also be accessed in the Research Room of the General Land Office.
Records have also been microfilmed. Original reels are stored at TSLAC records center, and duplicate reels are available at TGLO.