Main Version | Raw XML File (19k)
Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 |
Texas Woman's University, the Woman's Collection

Texas Federation of Women's Clubs Collection

Series 5: Headquarters



Collection Summary

Creator:Texas Federation of Women's Clubs
Title:Texas Federation of Women's Clubs Collection
Date:1897 - .
Abstract:Constitution and bylaws, minutes, correspondence, reports, and published material created by the state organization, the districts, and over 2,200 individual member clubs. Also includes graphic material such as photographs and scrapbooks. Material documents the founding meeting in 1897 through the organization's growth in the twentieth century into the largest women's volunteer association in Texas.
Location:Mss. 32
Size:493 boxes.
RepositoryTexas Woman's University, the Woman's Collection

 

Arrangement of the Collection

The records are arranged into nine series:
Series 1: Historical Writings
Series 2: Legal and Financial Documents
Series 3a-j: Administrations - Correspondence and Reports
Series 4: Education Assistance
Series 5: Headquarters Building
Series 6a-c: Membership
Series 7: Printed Material
Series 8: Graphic Material
Series 9: General Federation of Women's Clubs and South Central Region

Restrictions

Access to the Collection:

Open for research.

Publication and Copyright Statements:

Permission to publish materials must be obtained in writing from the Coordinator for Special Collections. Where copyright is unclear, all responsibility must be assumed by the user.


Administrative Information

Provenance

Material was collected and housed at the TFWC Headquarters until the organization designated the Woman's Collection as the repository for its archives in 1985. Material has been added on a continuing basis since that time.

Processed by

Ann McGuffin Barton, Morgan Davis, and Barbara Hotinski, 1997-2007.

Encoded by:

Ranu Singhvi, 2008


Detailed Description of the Collection

 

Series 5: Headquarters

TFWC operated without an official headquarters until 1922 when Anna Shelton offered the organization free office space in the Woman's Club of Fort Worth building. Realizing a need for their own facility in 1930, TFWC authorized a Permanent Headquarters Committee composed of the district presidents to secure a site and construct a building. Enthusiasm for the new clubouse, completed in 1933 as the Depression deepened, was tempered by the enormity of the remaining debt. By this time, $157,571 had been paid out, but $80,000 still remained. As the 1930s wore on, virtually every avenue for fund raising was explored without success. Finally in 1938, clubwoman Clara Discoll assumed the debt, and then in 1939 forgave it. Driscoll's contribution to the clubwomen of Texas amounted to $92,000.
In 1978 the TFWC Historical Foundation was established to take responsibility for the operation and maintenance of the building. It is a trust between TFWC and the Board of Trustees, with one trustee representing each TFWC district. Foundation offices and professional staff are located in the Headquarters building. Other rentals for office space and special events such as wedding provide income. To facilitate parking, the property immediately behind the building at 2307 Leon Street was purchased in 1997.
The building has received three historical markers: the National Registry of Historic Places in 1985; and both Texas Historic Landmarks and the Austin Historic Landmarks in 1986.
Historical Information
Box
5.1Informational Brochures
Building History
Endowment Fund History
Historical Foundation History, 1966 - 1978
Outline - Building Tour film
Articles on building history
Dedication of three historical markers
Minutes
Box
Permanent Headquarters Committee, 1930 - 1940
Box
5.2Historical Foundation Trustees, 1938 - 1957
Box
5.3Historical Foundation Trustees, 1958 - 1983
Box
5.4Historical Foundation Trustees, 1984 - 1992
Box
5.5Historical Foundation Trustees, 1993 - 2000
Financial Records
Box
5.6Audit Reports, 1933, 1936 - 1938, 1940 - 1951
Budgets, 1958 - 1980
Balance Sheets-House Fund, 1947 - 1953
Financial Reports, 1982 - 2000
Box
5.7Check Register, 1937-1938
Ledgers, 1941 - 1957
Headquarters Building Account Vouchers, 1949 - 1950
Tax Status
Building Tax Exemption, 1935 - 1955
Tax Exempt Status Opinion, 1935
Correspondence regarding audits, 1936 - 1938
City Tax Status, 1935 - 1954
Taxes, 1951 - 1968
Tax Re-Appraisal, 1954 - 1955
Correspondence with attorney Ralph Yarbrough regarding Property Tax and Tax Exemption, 1973 - 1986
Box
5.8Financing
Original building contracts, 1931
Lien, 1933
Refinancing issues
Clara Driscoll Loan/Gift
Box
5.9Special Rooms
Art Gallery, list of portraits, exhibit brochures, 1937 - 1955
Georgian Tea Room, at in Draglines, menu folders
Library
Library report
Library of Texas Women brochure
Donor lists: 1939, 1940, 1942, 1945
Inventory
Bibliography prepared by Elizabeth Snapp, Director TWU Libraries, 1991
Correspondence regarding sale of books
Administrative Files
Box
5.101940 - 1950 - Rentals/acquisitions, maintenance
Box
5.111950 - 1966 - Rentals, building maintenance
Box
5.121966 - 1997 - Rentals, building appraisal
Sale of building Feasibility Committee
Guest Books, 1940 - 1941, n.d.



Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 |