School of Medicine:
An Inventory of Its Records, 1972-1983, at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
The collection documents the history of the School of Medicine, which was created on May 29, 1969, by the 61st Texas Legislature, and admitted its first class of students in 1972. The process of developing a medical education facility for West Texas, however, began in 1949. In 1954, following a study of the medical community and services provided in the Lubbock area, surveyors determined need for improvement. Professionals were recruited in 1957 to form a Health Survey Committee. The findings of the committee provided the basis for future planning for the School of Medicine.
In the early 1960s, the then Texas Technological College, in conjunction with the Lubbock Chamber of Commerce, issued a brochure promoting the virtues of Lubbock, the college and the idea of a medical school at Lubbock. The Texas Tech Board of Regents in 1964 asked the college administration to submit an application to the Texas Commission on Higher Education requesting that a school of medicine be placed on the Tech campus. With support from Governor Preston Smith, a Lubbock native, and a great deal of endurance and determination on the part of the medical community of Lubbock and the administration of the college, the Texas Tech School of Medicine was created in 1969. On March 1971, Governor Smith signed the Higher Education Facilities Bond Act, which granted $35 million for construction of the Texas Tech School of Medicine in Lubbock. The proposed goals of the School of Medicine were to alleviate the physician shortage in West Texas, to improve medical services in the most medically under-served area in Texas, and to advance medical education.
The School of Medicine and its components were constructed on 250 acres on the northwest side of the Texas Tech campus. The facility was collectively designated as the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. Since the first class of the School of Medicine was admitted before construction was completed, students met in the converted quarters of Drane Hall. The Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center facilities were dedicated in January 1978.
It expanded in 1979 to become the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center system, with its administrative center in Lubbock and regional campuses at Amarillo, El Paso, and Odessa. Further expansions included the establishment of the Schools of Nursing, Allied Health and the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, and a Pharmacy School. The Allied Health programs were also expanded to include locations in Amarillo and Odessa.
This collection contains financial documents, news clippings and various printed materials related to the growth and expansion of the School of Medicine at Texas Tech University.
Open for research.
School of Medicine Records, 1972-1983, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Molly Lieb, 2017