Ko Shari Club:
An Inventory of Its Records, 1927-1985, at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
In 1927 Dorothy Rylander organized a group of Texas Tech young women into a social club. They called themselves the Gadabouts and later changed their name to Les Cigales in 1929. The group approached Olive and Curry Holden in 1932 to get new ideas for the club and suggest a name. The Holdens had an interest in Native American culture and proposed the name Ko Shari. It is a Southwestern Pueblo word meaning delight makers. The Holdens became sponsors of the group and the Ko Sharis adopted the rituals used by the Pueblo for their initiation into the club. Each year the group traveled to Santa Fe during Easter break to hold their initiation ceremony. This took place in an ancient kiva at an excavated Pueblo site. This annual ritual continued for the next 20 years until 1953 when the Ko Sharis became the Pi Beta Phi sorority. From this point, the Ko Shari alumnae formed the Delight Makers or DMs. They met on a regular basis and held a variety of social functions and reunions. The DM's stayed active until the 1980's. Dorothy Rylander kept a journal documenting club events and news. She died in 1988.
The collection contains correspondence, publications, newspaper clippings, and meeting minutes correlating to the activities of the Ko Shari Club and the Delight Makers. Included are 9 scrapbooks containing photographs, notes and ephemera that document the activities of the group. The collection has 8 photographs and 10 negatives in a folder in addition to the photos in the scrapbooks.
Open for research. Due to the fragile nature of the scrapbooks, permission is needed from the University Archivist to access the scrapbooks.
Ko Shari Club Records, 1927-1985, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Collection #(s) combined:
Grant Gerlich, 2017