An Inventory of Its Records, 1947-1981, at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
After the opening of Texas Technological College, the library started gathering manuscript material. As the potential of the collection became obvious, it was separated into an entity of its own. The archives, named the Southwest Collection, had its first official location in the basement of what was then the West Texas Museum (now called Holden Hall). Over the years, the collection grew in size and reputation. In 1963, the collection was moved from its home of 8 years and placed in the basement of the library (now the Math building). Once again the archives outgrew its location. In 1997, the Southwest Collection moved into its new building, located just north of the main Library. The archives was renamed the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library.
The collection consists of administrative materials pertaining to the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library. Included are reports to the Texas Tech Board of Regents, historical information, correspondence, and a new building proposal.
Open for research
Southwest Collection Records, 1947-1981 and undated, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Lynn Whitfield, July 1998