Texas Tech Masonic Guild:
An Inventory of the Papers, 1922-1982 and undated, at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Fred George Harbaugh received his B.S. degree in animal husbandry in 1927 from Iowa State University. He joined the faculty of Texas Tech in 1927, teaching animal science and veterinary medicine while also serving as the college veterinarian for the campus livestock. His office was housed in the Dairy Barn. In his early years with Texas Tech Dr. Harbaugh was the only veterinary doctor in the area, and thus he also practiced veterinary medicine outside of campus as there was need for his services in the community. Dr. Harbaugh married Helen Smith on June 9, 1928, in Ames, Iowa, and the couple would go on to have a son, George R. Harbaugh, and a daughter, Dorothy Harbaugh. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge of Lubbock, the Scottish Rite Mason, the York Rite Mason, the Westmont Chrisitan Church, and a charter member and past president of the Lubbock Lion's Club. His employment at Texas Tech ran from 1927-1970. After a lenghty illness Harbaugh passed away on July 17, 1985, in Lubbock, Texas.
During Harbaugh's time in Lubbock he was very active with the Masons. On June 2, 1930, he was one of 11 charter members of the Texas Tech Masonic Guild, which was patterned after the Iowa Grand Lodge's National Masonic Research Society. Original membership of the Texas Tech Masonic Guild was limited to faculty members who were already Masons in good standing and the purpose of the organization was cited as "to disseminate the history, traditions and lore pertaning to Masonry, all of which was obtainable from our College Library." The group's $4 annual fee was used to subscribe to the national society's official publication, The Building, and the remaining funds were used to purchase books for their library holdings. By 1966 the library's Masonic holdings had increased to 200 volumes. Membership was later restructured to allow students and other interested Masons in good standing to join. In the organization's 25th year in operation its leadership made overatures to become recognized as an officially approved group under the Masonic Jurisprudence Committee. Following a petition to became a study committee under the Research Lodge of the Grant Lodge of Texas, under which both the McKenzie Lodge No. 1327 and Yellowhouse Lodge No. 841 were asked to be sponsors, the Texas Tech Masonic Guild was reorganized in 1960 as the Lubbock Study Committee of the Texas Lodge of Research. A more indepth summary of this restructuring can be found in "The History of the Lubbock Study Committee of the Texas Lodge of Research, A.F. and A.M."
This collection consist of materials collected by and created by Fred G. Harbaugh during the course of his time with the Texas Tech Masonic Guild and the Lubbock Study Committee. Included are a summary of the organizations' intertwined histories, several of Harbaugh's handwritten presentations and various articles on Masonic symbolism and traditions.
Open for research
Texas Tech Masonic Guild Papers, 1922-1982 and undated, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Collection accession #(s):
Lynn Whitfield, April 2017