Sharps Rifle Company:
An Inventory of Its Records, 1874-1884, at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
The Sharps Rifle Company was founded in 1851 by Christian Sharps (1811-1874), and was originally called the Sharps Rifle Manufacturing Company. After legal difficulties the company was reorganized as the Sharps Rifle Company in 1874. The company ceased operations in 1881.
The Sharps Rifle Company Records contains letters written to the Sharps Rifle Company from persons in Texas, primarily comprising purchase requests for firearms and parts. The collection covers various aspects of life in Texas such as buffalo hunting, business dealings, and the necessity of firearms. A circular, "Description of Shackelford County, Texas," was removed from the collection for preservation and cataloging, but is available for research.
Open for research
Sharps Rifle Company Records, 1874-1884 and undated, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Collection accession #(s):
n/a, 1960; Robert Weaver, 2016