Texas State Library and Archives Commission

Texas Historical Commission, Community Heritage Development Division:

An Inventory of Records at the Texas State Archives, 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1985, 1990-1999, undated (bulk 1980-1982, 1990-1994)



Overview

Creator: Texas Historical Commission. Community Heritage Development Division.
Title: Records
Dates: 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1985, 1990-1999, undated
Dates: (bulk 1980-1982, 1990-1994)
Abstract: This series consists of correspondence, memoranda, project proposals, community profiles, committee minutes, clippings, assessments of historic architecture, photographs, slides, maps, illustrations and drawings, conference proceedings, notes, reports, and publications. The files cover the years 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1985, 1990-1999, undated (bulk 1980-1982, 1990-1994) and document two programs of the Texas Historical Commission's Community Heritage Development Division - the Main Street Program, and a regional documentation project of the Heritage Tourism Program, the Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project.
Quantity: 10.13 cubic ft.
Repository: Texas State Archives

Agency History

The Texas State Historical Survey Committee was created on a temporary basis in 1953 (Senate Concurrent Resolution 44, 53rd Legislature, Regular Session) to administer a comprehensive state program for historical preservation; it was given more permanent status in 1957 (Senate Bill 426, 55th Legislature, Regular Session). The Committee became the Texas Historical Commission in 1973 (House Bill 1512, 63rd Legislature, Regular Session).

The Texas Historical Commission is composed of eighteen members appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate, serving overlapping six-year terms. Members must be citizens of Texas who have demonstrated an interest in the preservation of the state's historical heritage, and represent all geographical areas of Texas. Beginning in 1995, the membership must include a professional archeologist, a professional historian, and a licensed architect; and two of the members must be from counties with populations of less than 50,000. The governor names the chairperson. The members appoint an executive director to administer the agency. In 1998 the commission had a staff of about 100 employees.

The mission of the commission is to protect and preserve the state's historic and prehistoric resources for the use, education, economic benefit, and enjoyment of present and future generations. The main functions of the agency are to identify, preserve, interpret, and maintain historic and archeological sites. Duties of the agency include preservation consultation with the public; providing leadership to heritage organizations and county historical commissions; working with communities to protect Texas' architectural heritage, including operation of the Texas Main Street Program; administering the state's historical marker program; working with property owners to save archeological sites on private land; ensuring archeological sites are protected as land is developed for public construction projects; consulting with citizens and groups to nominate properties for historical and archeological landmark status and for the National Register of Historic Places; and making historical attractions a cornerstone of the Texas travel industry. The Commission also maintains the Historic Sites Atlas (a database of information on 200,000 historic sites in Texas); is involved with the LaSalle excavations; and was involved with the development of the Bob Bullock State History Museum in Austin.

In the late 1990s, the Texas Historical Commission went through an agency restructuring in which several divisions were combined. The agency now contains seven divisions that carry out the responsibilities of the agency. The Administration Division oversees budgetary, planning, and other executive functions. The Community Heritage Division operates the Main Street Program, the Heritage Tourism Program, and the Certified Local Government Program. The Archeology Division administers the archeological programs of the agency in accordance with the National Historic Preservation Act and the Antiquities Code of Texas. The Architecture Division administers architectural grants, monitors the state's National Historical Landmarks and reviews proposed changes to Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks. The History Programs Division operates the National Register Program and the Local History Program. The Marketing Communications Division issues a monthly newsletter, The Medallion, provides production services for other departments, assists with public outreach, and helps coordinate the agency's annual museum conference. Staff Services handles personnel, accounting, and other staff functions.

The Community Heritage Development Division operates the Main Street Program, the Heritage Tourism Program, and the Certified Local Government Program. The Main Street Program was created about 1981 and is designed to revitalize downtown centers of cities with fewer than 50,000 people. The program provides cities with architectural consultation, marketing, and interior design training for this purpose. In 1989 the Legislature provided funding for an Urban Main Street Program. The Heritage Tourism Program works with business communities and with civic and educational organizations to promote and preserve historic sites in heritage areas. The Certified Local Government Program was created in 1980 and offers technical assistance to cities and awards grants to help with the development of quality local preservation programs.


Scope and Contents of the Records

This series consists of correspondence, memoranda, project proposals, community profiles, committee minutes, clippings, assessments of historic architecture, photographs, slides, maps, illustrations and drawings, conference proceedings, notes, reports, and publications. The files cover the years 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1985, 1990-1999, undated (bulk 1980-1982, 1990-1994) and document two programs of the Texas Historical Commission's Community Heritage Development Division - the Main Street Program, and a regional documentation project of the Heritage Tourism Program, the Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project.

The Main Street Program selects smaller cities and towns and works with them to revitalize their downtown centers. The records cover the beginning years of the program, from Texas' initial proposal to be part of the national main street program, through the first few years of the program's operation. There is a set of reading files of the Main Street Program director, containing memos and outgoing correspondence with community leaders and others about the Main Street project and with organizations and local people in specific cities involved in the project. There is also a set of files concerning the project proposal Texas prepared in 1980 and sent to the National Main Street Center to be accepted as a pilot project state. Dates of the Main Street Program files are 1979-1985, bulk 1980-1982.

The Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project was undertaken as part of the Heritage Tourism Program to promote and preserve historic sites along the Los Caminos del Rio heritage corridor, an area of about 200 miles along the Texas-Mexican border between Laredo and Brownsville. The bulk of the files consist of photographic media, most being photographs taken by Historical Commission staff to document sites in the corridor, largely focusing on several cities and towns. Of special note is a large group of photographs from Guerrero Viejo, a colonial Mexican town inundated in 1953 when the Falcon Reservoir was built on the Rio Grande. Also present are the maps, photographs, and original artwork used in the project's publications, A Shared Experience: The History, Architecture and Historic Designations of the Lower Rio Grande Heritage Corridor, 1st edition (1991), and the 2nd edition (1994); and A Shared Experience: A Teacher's Companion (1994). Dates of the Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project files are 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1979, 1990-1999, undated (bulk 1990-1994).

This finding aid describes the files of one division of the Historical Commision. See Texas Historical Commission: An Overview of Records for more records series.

To prepare this inventory, the described materials were cursorily reviewed to delineate series, to confirm the accuracy of contents lists, to provide an estimate of dates covered, and to determine record types.


 

Organization of the Records

These records are organized into two series and four subseries.
Main Street Program files, 1979-1985 (bulk 1980-1982), 2 cubic ft.
  • Reading files, 1981-1982, 1 cubic ft.
  • Administrative files, 1979-1985 (bulk 1980-1981), 1 cubic ft.
Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project files, 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1979, 1990-1999, undated (bulk 1990-1994), 8.13 cubic ft.
  • Publication development files, circa 1990-1996, undated (bulk 1991-1994), 2.71 cubic ft.
  • Research files, 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1979, 1990-1999, undated (bulk 1990-1994), 5.42 cubic ft.

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

Because of the possibility that portions of these records fall under Public Information Act exceptions including, but not limited to: social security numbers (V.T.C.A., Government Code, Section 552.101) an archivist must review these records before they can be accessed for research. The records may be requested for research under the provisions of the Public Information Act (V.T.C.A., Government Code, Chapter 552). The researcher may request an interview with an archivist or submit a request by mail, fax, or email including enough description and detail about the information requested to enable the archivist to accurately identify and locate the information requested. If our review reveals information that may be excepted by the Public Information Act, we are obligated to seek an open records decision from the Attorney General on whether the records can be released. The Public Information Act allows the Archives ten working days after receiving a request to make this determination. The Attorney General has 45 working days to render a decision. Alternately, the Archives can inform you of the nature of the potentially excepted information and if you agree, that information can be redacted or removed and you can access the remainder of the records.

Restrictions on Use

Most records created by Texas state agencies are not copyrighted and may be freely used in any way. State records also include materials received by, not created by, state agencies. Copyright remains with the creator. The researcher is responsible for complying with U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.).

Researchers are required to wear gloves provided by the Archives when reviewing photographic materials.

Maps larger than 17 x 22 inches cannot be photocopied.

Technical Requirements

None.


Index Terms

The terms listed here were used to catalog the records. The terms can be used to find similar or related records.
Corporate Names:
Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project.
Texas Main Street Project.
Subjects:
Historic buildings--Texas--Conservation and restoration.
Historic districts--Texas--Conservation and restoration.
Historic sites--Rio Grande Valley.
Historic buildings--Rio Grande Valley.
Architecture--Rio Grande Valley.
Places:
Rio Grande Valley--History.
Lower Rio Grande Valley (Tex.)--History.
Texas--Cultural policy.
Document Types:
Correspondence--Texas--Cultural policy--1980-1982.
Memorandums--Texas--Cultural policy--1980-1982.
Photographs--Lower Rio Grande Valley (Tex.)--1990-1999.
Slides (photographs)--Lower Rio Grande Valley (Tex.)--1990-1999.
Maps--Lower Rio Grande Valley (Tex.)--1980-1982, 1990-1994.
Notes--Lower Rio Grande Valley (Tex.)--1990-1994.
Reports--Lower Rio Grande Valley (Tex.)--1990-1996.
Functions:
Protection of historic sites.
Historic preservation.
Documention of historic sites.

Related Material

The following materials are offered as possible sources of further information on the agencies and subjects covered by the records. The listing is not exhaustive.

Texas State Archives
Texas Historical Foundation, Records, [ca. 1966]-1981, 6 cubic ft. [There is no finding aid available for these unprocessed records, see staff for assistance.]
Publications
A Shared Experience: The History, Architecture and Historic Designations of the Lower Rio Grande Heritage Corridor, 2nd edition (1994)
A Shared Experience: A Teacher's Companion (1994)
Texas Main Street Project newsletter, 1983-[ongoing]

Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

(Identify the item and cite the series), Records, Community Heritage Development Division, Texas Historical Commission. Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission.

Accession Information

Accession numbers: 2000/020, 2000/092

These records were transferred to the Archives and Information Services Division of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission by the Texas Historical Commission on September 28, 1999; and January 8, 2000.

Processing Information

Laura K. Saegert, December 2002, March 2004


Detailed Description of the Records

 

Main Street Program files, 1979-1985 (bulk 1980-1982),
2 cubic ft.

This series consists of correspondence, memoranda, project proposals, community profiles, committee minutes, clippings, and notes, dating 1979-1985 (bulk 1980-1982). There is a set of reading files of the Main Street Program director, containing memos and outgoing correspondence with community leaders and others about the Main Street Program and with organizations and local people in specific cities involved in the project. There is also a set of files concerning the project proposal Texas prepared in 1980 and sent to the National Main Street Center to be accepted as a pilot project state.
To prepare this inventory, the described materials were cursorily reviewed to delineate series, to confirm the accuracy of contents lists, to provide an estimate of dates covered, and to determine record types.
Main Street Program background
The Texas Main Street Program, part of the Texas Historical Commission's Community Development Heritage Division, helps Texas cities revitalize their historic downtowns and neighborhood commercial districts by utilizing preservation and economic development strategies.
The program began in 1981 and is affiliated with the National Trust for Historic Preservation. It was developed because there was no state or federal program available to help small towns that were losing vitality in their downtown areas. The project initially involved four state agencies - the Texas Historical Commission (lead agency), the Governor's Budget and Planning Office, the Texas Industrial Commission, and the Texas Department of Community Affairs. The inital objective was the architectural and economic revitalization of the downtown centers of cities with fewer than 50,000 people. In 1989 the Legislature provided funding for an Urban Main Street Program. The program provides cities with architectural consultation, marketing, and interior design training for this purpose. The cities with populations under 50,000 applying for the program must agree to hire a full-time Main Street manager for three years and provide funding for the local program. Cities with population over 50,000 must cooperate with a private nonprofit organization, hire a full-time staff of two for at least five years and provide funding for the local program and pay a graduated fee of $7,500 the first year, $2,500 the second year and $1,500 each year thereafter.
The Texas Main Street Program is among the most successful downtown revitalization programs in the nation, and has assisted more than 130 Texas cities through the program. The program has resulted in the private reinvestment of more than $860 million in Texas downtowns and neighborhood commercial districts, the creation of more than 18,200 jobs and the establishment of more than 4,600 new businesses.
Organization
These records are organized into two subseries.
Reading files, 1981-1982, 1 cubic ft.
Administrative files, 1979-1985 (bulk 1980-1981), 1 cubic ft.
Restrictions on Access
Because of the possibility that portions of these records fall under Public Information Act exceptions including, but not limited to: social security numbers (V.T.C.A., Government Code, Section 552.101) an archivist must review these records before they can be accessed for research. The records may be requested for research under the provisions of the Public Information Act (V.T.C.A., Government Code, Chapter 552). The researcher may request an interview with an archivist or submit a request by mail, fax, or email including enough description and detail about the information requested to enable the archivist to accurately identify and locate the information requested. If our review reveals information that may be excepted by the Public Information Act, we are obligated to seek an open records decision from the Attorney General on whether the records can be released. The Public Information Act allows the Archives ten working days after receiving a request to make this determination. The Attorney General has 45 working days to render a decision. Alternately, the Archives can inform you of the nature of the potentially excepted information and if you agree, that information can be redacted or removed and you can access the remainder of the records.
Restrictions on Use
None.
Technical Requirements
None.
Preferred Citation
(Identify the item and cite the series), Main Street Program files, Records, Community Heritage Division, Texas History Commission. Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
Accession Information
Accession number: 2000/020
These records were transferred to the Archives and Information Services Division of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission by the Texas Historical Commission on September 28, 1999.
Processed by
Laura K. Saegert, March 2004
Reading files, 1981-1982,
1 cubic ft.
These are reading files of the Texas Main Street Program director, containing memos and outgoing correspondence with community leaders and others about the Main Street Program and with organizations and local people in specific cities involved in the project. Dates covered are 1981-1982. Memos are generally weekly updates of staff activities regarding various main street projects. Letters are outgoing letters of the program director, some of the division director, to local officials, community leaders, businesses, organizations or other groups; and typically concern cities and towns selection/non-selection into the Main Street Program or upcoming aspects of the project for those selected, acknowledgement of gifts, and answering questions about the Main Street Program. Other letters include architectural assessments prepared by Historical Commission architects and sent to owners of buildings in the program. Also present are scattered minutes from the Texas Main Street Interagency Council and the Texas Main Street Committee and transmittal sheets - a form that states when and to whom a letter was sent and what, if anything, was attached.
To prepare this inventory, the described materials were cursorily reviewed to delineate series, to confirm the accuracy of contents lists, to provide an estimate of dates covered, and to determine record types.
Arrangement of the records
The records are arranged in reverse chronological order.
Preferred Citation
(Identify the item), Reading files, Main Street Program files, Records, Community Heritage Division, Texas History Commission. Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
Box
2000/020-11 Reading file:
December 1982
November 1982
October 1982
September 1982
Transmittal file, September-October 1982
Transmittal file, May-August 1982
Reading file:
August 1982
July 1982
June 1982
[2 folders]
May 1982
[2 folders]
Transmittal file, February-April, 1982
Reading file:
April 1982
[2 folders]
March 1982
[2 folders]
February 1982
January 1982
December 1981
November 1981
Transmittal file, September-December 1981
Reading file:
October 1981
September 1981
August 1981
Transmittal file, August 1981
Reading file, July 1981
Transmittal file, July 1981
Reading file, June 1981
Transmittal file, June 1981
Reading file, May 1981
Transmittal file, May 1981
Reading file, April 1981
Transmittal file, April 1981
Transmittal file, March 1981
Reading file, January 1981
Administrative files, 1979-1985 (bulk 1980-1981),
1 cubic ft.
This series contains proposals, correspondence, notes, memos, community profiles, clippings, contracts, and surveys, regarding Texas' participation in the National Main Street Project, dating 1979-1985, the bulk dating 1980-1981. The files largely concern the project proposal Texas prepared in 1980 and sent to the National Main Street Center to be accepted as a pilot project state. The Texas proposal is present as well as proposals from several other states. Correspondents include the Main Street Program director, Historical Commission staff, other state agencies (primarily the Governor's Office of Budget and Planning and the Texas Department on Community Affairs), and local officials, citizens, or groups with an interest or involvement in the Main Street proposal. Materials gathered while preparing Texas' proposal include community profiles prepared by some Texas communities.
Also present are files regarding contractors hired to perform market research in several Texas cities in 1984 and 1985. The contract files contain contracts, purchase vouchers, correspondence, memoranda, market analyses, surveys, and a large computer printout of statistical data.
To prepare this inventory, the described materials were cursorily reviewed to delineate series, to confirm the accuracy of contents lists, to provide an estimate of dates covered, and to determine record types.
Arrangement of the records
The Texas project proposal records are filed first, followed the main street proposals from other states, then the contract files.
Preferred Citation
(Identify the item), Administrative files, Main Street Program files, Records, Community Heritage Division, Texas History Commission. Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
Box
2000/020-12 Main Street project info[rmation], 1979-1980
Pre-application project proposal, 1980
Pre-application appendix, ca. 1980
[includes profiles of some Texas communities]
General information, Main Street Project, 1980
[includes correspondence concerning the proposal]
Texas Main Street Project Proposal, Part I (master copy), 1980
Texas Main Street Project Proposal, Part II (master copy), 1980
Texas Main Street Project Proposal, Appendix (master copy), ca. 1980
[includes profiles of some Texas communities]
State status reports for Massasschusetts, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Texas, 1981
Main Street Project proposals of other states, ca. 1980:
Colorado
Georgia
North Carolina
[2 volumes]
Massachusetts
[2 volumes]
Pennsylvania
Contract files:
[Contains possibly excepted information: social security numbers of contractors are present in all files]
Dennis U. Fisher, 1982-1985
Raymundo Vela, Jr., 1985
Susan Campbell, 1985
Johnson, Moore, Kelly and Associates, 1984-1985



 

Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project files, 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1979, 1990-1999, undated (bulk 1990-1994),
8.13 cubic ft.

This series consists of assessments of historic architecture, photographs, slides, maps, illustrations and drawings, conference proceedings, notes, reports, and publications produced by the Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project, dating 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1979, 1990-1999, the bulk dating 1990-1994. The research materials were gathered or created by the Texas Historical Commission for documentation of historic sites along the Los Caminos del Rio heritage corridor, an area of about 200 miles along the Texas-Mexican border between Laredo and Brownsville. The bulk of the photographic media consists of color slides or black and white photographs taken by Historical Commission staff to document sites in the corridor, largely focusing on several cities and towns. Photographs, mostly copy prints, are also present from other archival repositories and from residents or local groups. Included is a large group of photographs from Guerrero Viejo, a colonial Mexican town inundated in 1953 when the Falcon Reservoir was built on the Rio Grande. Copies of maps, largely photographic copies, that were used as resource material for creating maps in the THC publications are also present. Some of the maps created for the publications exist in several formats, as original manuscript maps, full size negatives, and large prints. Also of note is a set of assessments or surveys of historic architecture (accompanied by color photographs) of sites featured in the published report.
Very little textual research material is present, except for a set of heritage project files documenting heritage projects in other parts of Texas and in other states gathered by the Historical Commission as resource material. The Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project is an ongoing research project, thus the majority of the textual research materials gathered or created for it are still at the Historical Commission and other agencies participating in the project, including the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the Texas Department of Transportation.
The publication development files were created by the Texas Historical Commission for use in publications on the Los Caminos del Rio Heritage project. The bulk consist of photographs selected for the publications, along with original artwork, drawings and maps used in A Shared Experience: The History, Architecture and Historic Designations of the Lower Rio Grande Heritage Corridor, 2nd edition (1994) and in A Shared Experience: A Teacher's Companion (1994). A set of negatives is present from the first edition of the book (1991), and a video (1996) and foldout brochures (1996) produced by the project are also filed with these records. Additionally, there are two 1993 newsletters from the project, Los Caminos del Rio, Quarterly Newsletter.
Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project history
The Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project was begun in 1990 to preserve the heritage of the Lower Rio Grande area while also educating citizens about the history of the region. It was a cooperative effort between the United States and Mexico with the assistance of the Meadows Foundation of Dallas to survey cultural resources along the border. A resulting publication, A Shared Experience, 1991, proposed linking cultural and natural resources extending from Laredo/Nuevo Laredo to Brownsville/Matamoros in a single corridor focused on the shared heritage of the two nations. The project was endorsed by Governor Ann Richards and later by Governor George Bush. A state interagency task force was created by Governor Richards through Executive Order AWR 91-5, the Task Force on the Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project. It was composed of a team of experts from the Texas Historical Commission, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, Texas Department of Transportation, and the Texas Department of Commerce, with the representive of the Historical Commission serving as chair. The National Park Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, several government agencies in Mexico, and two binational non-profit organizations (Los Caminos de Rio, Inc., and A.C.) were invited to join the task force to promote and preserve the natural, cultural and historical heritage of the Lower Rio Grande. Throughout 1991 and 1992 staff of the Historical Commission and its partners undertook research activites and also provided technical assistance in communities, such as helping with National Register nominations or preservation plans for historic buildings.
A heritage corridor was designated - the Los Caminos del Rio heritage corridor. It is an area of about 200 miles along the Texas-Mexican border going through Webb, Zapata, Starr, Hidalgo and Cameron counties in Texas along highways 281 and 83 and the States of Nuevo Leon and Tamaulipas in Mexico along highway 2, between the towns of Laredo (U.S.)/Nuevo Laredo (Mexico) and Brownsville (U.S.)/Matamoros (Mexico). A heritage plan was established in 1992, with the U.S. National Park Service taking the lead, to explore the broad heritage of the region through native wildlife, and natural, scenic and recreational resources. The plan also assessed the cultural heritage of the region, including architecture, archeology, and folklore as well as the infrastructure and transportation components of the region. Early in 1992 questionnaires were sent out to key individuals and organizations in the corridor area to gather information about the area's resources. A 28-member team assembled from thirteen United States and Mexican federal and state agencies traveled througout the area making on-site evaluations of resources. The team assessed management, infrastructure, conservation, and economic development issues. In addition, six public workshops about the project were held in the United States and Mexico. Each country's delegation visited sites along its border during early-mid 1992 and formulated recommendations for coordinating efforts with its counterpart. A binational agreement of cooperation was signed by members of the international task force in Roma, Texas, on October 30, 1992 to formalize the coordination of United States and Mexican plans for the project.
This plan was completed in 1994 and included recommendations for partnership management of the heritage corridor by agencies, organizations and individuals. During the survey more than 230 historical sites were identified.
In 1994, following completion of the heritage plan, two publications about the project were produced by the Texas Historical Commission. The first was A Shared Experience: The History, Architecture and Historic Designations of the Lower Rio Grande Heritage Corridor, 2nd edition, edited by Mario Sanchez, PhD., R.A., 1994. According to the report's introduction, the report is portrayed as a practical, usable inventory of the region's historic sites. The report contains surveys of twenty selected historic sites, including drawings, assessments of the architecture, and cost estimates needed for restoration/repair work; assessment of regional crafts; maps of the corridor showing historic sites and maps presenting the transportation components of the area, such as tracing the development of river routes; and historical and contemporary photographs of sites and cultural resources of the area. The report has a section focusing on the site of Guerrero Viejo, a colonial Mexican town inundated in 1953 by the Falcon Reservoir, a reservoir built on the Rio Grande by the United States and Mexico.
Additionally, A Shared Experience: A Teacher's Companion, was published. This volume is designed to be used with the report and contains lessons plans for middle school teachers along with numerous pen and ink drawings of related historic events and cultural activities. Also produced by the Historical Commission was a video providing visual documentation of many sites and a large foldout brochure highlighting sites with a brief synopsis of the project.
The Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project continues. Staff of involved agencies and organizations continue to survey, conduct research, and identify additional historic sites, create documentation (site descriptions and interpretations, maps, photographs), provide preservation plans for sites, and nominate sites to the National Register of Historic Places or for National Historic Landmark Status.
Organization
These records are organized into two series:
Publication development files, circa 1990-1996, undated (bulk 1991-1994), 2.71 cubic ft.
Research files, 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1979, 1990-1999, undated (bulk 1990-1994), 5.42 cubic ft.
Restrictions on Access
None.
Restrictions on Use
Researchers are required to wear gloves provided by the Archives when reviewing photographic materials.
Maps larger than 17 x 22 inches cannot be photocopied.
Technical Requirements
None.
Preferred Citation
(Identify the item and cite the subseries), Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project files, Records, Community Heritage Division, Texas Historical Commission. Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
Accession Information
Accession number: 2000/092
These records were transferred to the Archives and Information Services Division of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission by the Texas Historical Commission on January 8, 2000.
Processed by
Laura K. Saegert, December 2002
Publication development files, circa 1990-1999, undated (bulk 1991-1994),
2.71 cubic ft.
These are maps, photographs (prints, negatives, and slides), original artwork and drawings, camera ready copy, and resulting publications dating ca. 1990-1999, the bulk dating 1991-1994. The files were created by the Texas Historical Commission for reports on the Los Caminos del Rio Heritage project, A Shared Experience: The History, Architecture and Historic Designations of the Lower Rio Grande Heritage Corridor, 2nd edition, edited by Mario Sanchez, PhD., R.A., 1994, and A Shared Experience: A Teacher's Companion. The bulk of the records consists of photographs, drawings and maps for the second edition. Maps and camera ready copy are present for the Teacher's Companion, and a few negatives are present that were used in the first edition of A Shared Experience, edited by Mario Sanchez, PhD., R.A., 1991. A few folders of prints and slides labeled as "extra slides," "photographs not used" are also present in this series. Other published items in these files are a video, Our Architectural Heritage, A Cultural Legacy of the Lower Rio Grande, 1996; three copies of a large foldout brochure, two in Spanish, one in English - Legacies of the Borderlands (Los Caminos del Rio, Legados de la Frontera), 1996; and two 1993 issues of the project's quarterly newsletter, Los Caminos del Rio.
Prints and negatives are generally black and white, slides are color.
Arrangement
These records are arranged by publication, based on the date the item was published, then by record type.
Preferred Citation
(Identify the item), Publication development files, Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project files, Records, Community Heritage Division, Texas Historical Commission. Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
A Shared Experience: The History, Architecture and Historic Designations of the Lower Rio Grande Heritage Corridor, 1991 edition, ca. 1990
Box
2000/092-1 Negatives
[5 folders]
A Shared Experience: The History, Architecture and Historic Designations of the Lower Rio Grande Heritage Corridor, 2nd edition (1994), ca. 1991-1994
Box
2000/092-1 Texas historical photos:
[Photo research]
[Various negatives]
[Loose paste-up sheets without photos]
[Cover and river photos]
Front matter, Part I
Part II
[5 folders]
Part III
[5 folders]
Part IV
[6 folders]
Box
2000/092-2 Appendices
1st edition photos deleted from the 2nd edition
[2 folders]
New photos/artwork:
Final complete cropping information
[Loose materials]
Frontmatter
Part I
Part II
Part III
[3 folders]
Part IV
[3 folders]
Afterwards
Oversize
OS 2000/092-1 Artwork:
New artwork (velox negatives)
[2 folders]
Jack Jackson's drawings
Art. 46A
Box
2000/092-2 Logos (for 1st and 2nd editions)
Part V, Guerrero Viejo photo notebook:
[Loose material]
Cover photos
Landscape and aerial views
The Plaza and Nuestra Senora del Refugio Church
Street scenes
Public and private structures
Arches and doorways
Architectural features
The sandstone quarry and falls
The old cemetery
Residents and former residents
The rescue begins, March 21, 1993
Box
2000/092-3 Negatives:
Negatives, except Guerrero Viejo
[3 folders]
Internegatives, Guerrero Viejo
[4 folders]
Miscellaneous photographs and negatives:
[Photographs, photocopies of]
Photo rejects
[6 folders]
Slide duplicates, set # 1
[2 folders]
Slide duplicates, set # 2
[3 folders]
Maps:
Drawings for map on rear cover
[2 folders]
Corridor map, cover
Guerrero map
Oversize
OS 2000/092-1 Part VI, reject maps, etc.:
1820s-1830s
1850s-1860s
1870s, 1920s-1930s
Rejects
Figs. 1 to 11
Part VI
[2 folders]
Oversize
OS Box 34 Maps - Plano Topografico, V. Canalizo, 1838 (partial); Rio Bravo de Norte, Section of Boundary Between the U.S. and Mexico... Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, 1852-1853, by Brevet Major W.H. Emory [complete map and enlargement]; Boundary between the U.S. and Mexico... Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, 1853, Emory (complete map).
Map-case
Map Drawer Processed 1 Map - Historic Sites and Designations, drafts, final manuscript drawings, full size prints, full size negative
Box
2000/092-3 Appendices:
Appendix G
Larry Jones and Ogletree letter
Box
2000/092-4 Publication:
A Shared Experience: The History, Architecture and Historic Designations of the Lower Rio Grande Heritage Corridor, 2nd edition, edited by Mario Sanchez, Ph.D., published by the Texas Historical Commission, 1994
A Shared Experience: A Teacher's Companion, (1994) ca. 1990-1994
Oversize
OS 2000/092-1 Drawings:
Small illustrations (originals), veloxes from large illustrations
Film of large illustrations
Map-case
Map Drawer Processed 2 Drawings and maps:
Large maps, drawings, film
Two mounting drawings
Oversize
OS 2000/092-1 Camera-ready copy of guide
[3 folders]
Box
2000/092-4 Publication:
A Shared Experience: The History, Architecture and Historic Designations of the Lower Rio Grande Heritage Corridor. Teacher's Companion, Activities and Resource Book, by Kitty A. Henderson, published by the Texas Historical Commission, 1994
Other publications by the Historical Commission
Box
2000/092-4 Foldout brochures, Legacies of the Borderlands (Los Caminos del Rio, Legados de la Frontera,) 1996
[Three copies, two in Spanish, one in English.]
Video, Our Architectural Heritage, A Cultural Legacy of the Lower Rio Grande, 1996
[VHS format, 16:30 minutes]
Oversize
Oversize Box 37 Los Caminos del Rio, Quarterly Newsletter, two issues, 1993
Research files, 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1979, 1990-1999, undated (bulk 1990-1994),
5.42 cubic ft.
This series consists of assessments of historic architecture, photographs, slides, maps, conference proceedings, notes, and reports, dating 1829, 1847, 1852-1853, 1866, 1870, 1888-1979, 1990-1999, undated, the bulk dating 1990-1994. The research materials were gathered or created by the Texas Historical Commission (THC) for documentation of historic sites along the Los Caminos del Rio heritage corridor, an area of about 200 miles along the Texas-Mexican border between Laredo and Brownsville. The bulk of the photographic media consists of color slides or black and white prints taken by Historical Commission staff to document sites in the Corridor, generally focusing on several cities and towns. Photographs, primarily copy prints, are also present from other archival repositories and from residents or local groups. Included is a large group of photographs from Guerrero Viejo, a colonial Mexican town inundated in 1953 when the Falcon Reservoir was built on the Rio Grande. Copies of maps, mostly photographic prints, that were used as resource material for creating maps in the THC publications are present. Also of note is a set of assessments or surveys of historic architecture (accompanied by color photographs) of sites featured in the published report.
Very little textual research material is present, except for a set of files documenting heritage projects in other parts of Texas and in other states gathered by the Historical Commission as resource material. The Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project is an ongoing research project, thus the majority of the textual research materials gathered or created for it are still at the Historical Commission and other agencies participating in the project, including the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the Texas Department of Transportation.
Arrangement
The records are arranged by record type or topic. Within each set the records are maintained in their original order.
Preferred Citation
(Identify the item), Research files, Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project files, Records, Texas Historical Commission. Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
Conference files
Box
2000/092-4 Border Conference, 1977-1978
Proceedings. An Exploration of a Common Legacy: A Conference on Border Architecture, 1978
[The report is in English and Spanish.]
Brownsville Conference, January 1979
Conference registrants and proceedings list, 1978-1979
Research files, Mexican states
Box
2000/092-4 [Documentation of historic sites]
[2 folders]
[Notes, lists, etc.]
Nuevo Leon
Tamaulipas
Coahuila
Architect's notebooks
[Note: Notebooks document historical sites in the Los Caminos del Rio Heritage corridor, focusing on sites features in the book, A Shared Experience. One notebook contains architectural documentation on the structures, cost estimates for repairs, etc. The other item is an accompanying notebook of color photographs of these structures.]
Box
2000/092-5 Notebook with architectural documentation:
Notebook - Assessment of Historic Structures, 1990
[6 folders]
[Loose materials and materials in pockets]
[4 folders]
Photograph notebook, 1990:
Republic of the Rio Grande, Laredo
San Ygnacio/San Ygnacio vicinity:
Vela Store
Trevino Fort
Rancho San Frisco
Roma:
Guerra Store
Noah Cox House
Blue Cornice Building
Rameriz Hospital
Garcia House
Rio Grande City:
De la Pena Store
Lee House
Hidalgo, Irrigation pumphouse
Brownsville:
City Cemetery
Pacheco Store
Slide notebooks, 1990-1999
[Note: These are color slides, most, if not all, taken by Mario Sanchez, of the Texas Historical Commission, as documentation of historic sites along the Los Caminos del Rio Heritage corridor, both on the Texas side and the Mexican side. The sheets in the notebooks note the locale where the slides were shot (cities, towns, landscapes outside towns, etc.). The slide sheets were removed from the notebooks and foldered. Some folders have slide sheets of different locales; when this happens, each sheet is named in the folder title.]
Box
2000/092-5 Slide notebook # 1 (various cities and towns):
Lower Rio Grande; River Scenes
River Scenes; Lower Rio Grande
River/Lanscape Scenes; Ranches, Webb County
Lower Rio Grande; Ranch Lands
River/Lanscape Scenes
Laredo
[2 folders]
San Ygnacio
Old Dolores
Box
2000/092-6 Corralitos
San Francisco/Rancho San Franciso
Rancho la Union
San Ygnacio
[4 folders]
Slide notebook # 2 (Mexico):
Guerrero, Coahuila
Matamoros
Camargo; Miguel Aleman; [Unlabeled sheet]
Reforestation Day; Islote de los Castores
Miguel Aleman; Brick kiln, Los Guerra
Mier
[2 folders]
Villanueva; Camargo
Villanueva, Tamaulipas
[2 folders]
Guerrero Viejo
[7 folders]
Nuevo Laredo; Intersectional meeting; Mexican officials visit Roma and Diez
Nuevo Laredo, meeting with governor and sec.[retary]
Box
2000/092-7 Slide notebook # 3 (Roma):
Special events; Roma Exhibit Opening
B. Sharkey visit; [general Roma slide sheets]
Parish Hall, Rodriguez Store; Lind Ramirez Building; Rameriz Hospital
Roma, various; Guerra family reunion
Roma House; [various views of Roma]
Nestor Sanchez Store
[2 folders]
Guerra Store
[2 folders]
Antonia Sanchez residence; View along Portscheller Street
Slide notebook # 4 (various cities and towns):
Los Saenz, La Grulla, Salineno; Rio Grande City
Hebronville, Rio Grande City
Edinburg; McAllen, Mission
Santa Anna, National Wildlife Refuge; Toluca Ranch
Hidalgo, Old River Pumphouse
[3 folders]
Hidalgo, Historical Center; US 281 east-west, military highway properties
US 281, Cemetery; US 281, military properties
Brownsville:
Brownsville [various]; Brownsville Cemetery
Fort Brown; Brownsville [various]
Immaculate Conception Cathedral
Brownsville vicinity
Palo Alto; Port Isabel; Boca Chica Beach
US 281 and US 83 markers; Miscellaneous
Photographs
Guerrero Viejo photograph notebook (L. McVey), 1888-1993:
[Note: These are black and white copy photos (with what looks to be a few originals as well) of former residents, structures, street scenes, landscapes, and other images from Guerrero Viejo, mostly before the site was inundated by the waters of the Rio Grande for the Falcon Dam Reservoir. They are foldered as received, according to divider titles in the notebook. Sections without dividers had titles supplied by Archives staff. Dates of the copy images go back at least to 1888. Many are not dated. In addition to photographs, a map, a few clippings and notes are present.]
Box
2000/092-8 Map of Old Guerrero, Tamaulipas, Mexico, by Lori McVey, 1993
Prints - The San Antonio Light Collection
[Miscellaneous views]
Flores family
[3 folders]
Young Dr. R. Flores and El Salto
Former residents
[5 folders]
[Former residents]
[2 folders]
[Street scenes, landscape views]
[Former residents, structures, landscape views]
[Former residents, groups, etc.]
Palacio, maps, building
[2 folders]
Quarry
Churches - Nuestra Senora del Refugio
[2 folders]
Cemetery
Map-case
Map Drawer Processed 2 Guerrero Viejo oversize, mounted photographs (view of the bridge, outside views of two churches, interior church view, and several street views)
[2 folders]
Bonar photographs:
[Note: Black and white photographs, contact sheets, negatives taken by Texas Historical Commission photographer Jim Bonar.]
Box
2000/092-8 [Negatives and contact sheets, 35 mm film]
[3 folders]
[Photographs of illustrations from the Institute of Texas Cultures]
[Contact sheets, from 4 x 5 inch negatives]
[4 folders]
Box
2000/092-9 [Negatives, 4 x 5 inches]
[5 folders]
[Prints, 8 x 10 inches]
[5 folders]
[Notes]
Photographs from other sources:
Center for American History:
Runyon Collection
[8 x 10 inch prints]
Runyon Collection
[8 x 10, 4 x 5 inch prints]
Runyon Collection [panorama views]
Prints and Photographs Collection
[5 x 7 inch prints]
[Military views]
[8 x 10 inch prints]
National Archives
[mostly 8 x 10 inch prints]
[2 folders]
[Prints from unknown source, in Stokes Imaging Services envelope]
[5 x 7 and 8 x 10 inch prints]
University of Texas at Pan American, contact sheet and negatives of brochures of 1920s valley promotions
Architecture, Martha Peters [prints and negatives, color and black and white]
J. Freeman visit, January 1991
[prints, contact sheets, negatives]
[3 folders]
[Photos from Webb County?]
[Photos from Dick Ryan]
[2 folders]
[Bridge photo, mounted]
Extra photos
[5 folders]
Maps
Oversize
Oversize Box 37 Full page map, 4-color - Los Caminos del Rio Heritage Project Area
Map-case
Map Drawer Processed 1 Several maps: Boundary between the United States and Mexico...Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, Surveyed in 1852 by Brt. Major W.H. Emory (diazo print); Plat and drawing - Field Pacheco Complex, Brownsville (black and white print);Map of the Rio Grande Frontier, Texas, East of Fort McIntosh and South of the Mex. National R.R., by 1st Lt. H.L. Ripley, 1892 (browntone print); Map of San Patricio District, General Land Office, 1870 (photocopy)
Oversize
Oversize Box 34 Photographic prints of maps - Map of Texas, John Arrowsmith, 1847; Map of the Rio Grande Frontier..., by Ripley, 1892; Chart of the Rio Bravo del Norte by Henry Austin, traced by Lt. Bowman in 1866; Mapa del Original de Texas, by Stephen F. Austin, 1829.
Map-case
Map Drawer Processed 1 Full-size negative and print of a map from A Shared Experience, titled Historic Sites and Designations, Lower Rio Grande Heritage Corridor, with several county highway maps containing site locations and notes.
Heritage Corridor research files, ca. 1989-1998
[Note: These are largely newsletters, project brochures, maps, correspondence, and a few notes on various heritage corridor projects in Texas and the United States, with a few from other countries, roughly in alphabetical order.]
Box
2000/092-10 Alamo-La Bahia
American Industrial Project
Arizona
Bay Area Ridge Trail
Blackstone River Valley National HC/Massachussets [Heritage Corridor]
Butte, Montana
Cache La Poudre River Nat'l. Water Heritage Area
California, Santa Rosa Creek Restoration
California Corridor
California
El Camino Real, New Mexico
Caminos Reales and the Old San Antonio Road, Texas
El Camino del Rio, Big Bend Area, Texas
Canada Heritage Regions Programme
Colorado River Trail
State of Colorado
Denison Heritage [Texas]
East Texas
[2 folders]
European Heritage Trail
Florida, Blackwater State Heritage Trail
Florida, Cuban Heritage Trail
Florida Spanish Mission Trail
Georgia
Box
2000/092-11 Georgia/Alabama, Chattachooche Trace
Houston
Houston-Themes
Hudson Greening
Illinois
Jean Lafitte, NPS [National Park Service]/Louisiana
La Ruta Maya, Nat[ional] Geo[graphic]
LBJ [Lyndon B. Johnson] Heartland
Market Trails, Texas (area southwest of San Antonio)
Maryland, Nanticoke Watershed
Mississippi River Parkway
Natchez Trace
New Jersey's Coastal Heritage Trail
New York State urban, cultural parks/scenic byways
North Carolina, Old Salem
Ohio
Oregon Trail
Pennsylvania:
General
Delaware and Lehigh Navigation Canal
Penn Heritage Park:
Allegheny Ridge
Lincoln Highway
Oil Region
National Road
Rivers of Steel
Lackawanna Heritage Valley
Seaway Trail, Inc., Great Lakes
Suwannee River, Florida
Silos and Smoke Stacks, Iowa
Utah, Morman Pioneer Trail
Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River
Virginia
Washington State Tapteal Greenway
West Virginia