TABLE OF CONTENTS
Texas Supreme Court, Galveston Term:
An Inventory of Clerk's Correspondence at the Texas State Archives, 1868-1870
The Texas Constitution and acts of the First, Fourth, and Fifth Legislature established the Texas Supreme Court, consisting of a chief justice and two associate justices to be appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the Senate. The Court held three month terms annually at Austin, Tyler, and Galveston. Each term of the Court had its own clerk and maintained separate records.
Records consist of original incoming correspondence to the clerk and deputy clerk of the Texas Supreme Court at Galveston, and a few copies of replies, from 1868 to 1870. Correspondents include lawyers, law firms, county sheriffs, the Office of the Secretary of State, and individuals. Much of the correspondence concerns requests for Supreme Court opinions, mandates, and other records from cases. Other topics include petitions for rehearing, requests for referrals from job seekers, and the status of particular cases before the Court. There is also routine correspondence relating to the day-to-day operations of the Court, such as the filing of legal documents, the publication and sale of Supreme Court decisions, the purchase of furniture for the Court, and the payment for copies of legal records.
The correspondence had been glued and tipped-in to make a volume with the correspondence in reverse chronological order. The volume is in very poor physical condition and some of the correspondence has come loose.
To prepare this inventory, the described materials were cursorily reviewed to delineate series, to confirm the accuracy of contents lists, to provide an estimate of dates covered, and to determine record types.
Restrictions on Access
Restrictions on Use
Because of the poor condition of the correpondence, photocopies cannot be made.
(Identify the item), Galveston Term Clerk's correspondence, Texas Supreme Court. Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
Accession number: 1994/101
These records were transferred to the Archives and Information Services Division of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission from the Austin History Center, Austin Public Library, City of Austin, on May 25, 1994. The records were donated to the Austin History Center in July 1977 from Mrs. Stuart E. Buckley who had received them from Max Bickler, former clerk of the Supreme Court.
Paul Beck, June 1994