TABLE OF CONTENTS
Texas State Library and Archives Commission, Records Management Division:
An Inventory of Correspondence and Memoranda at the Texas State Archives, 1965-1989 (bulk 1975-1984)
The Records Division of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission was originally created in 1933 as a part of the State Board of Control (House Bill 847, 43rd Legislature); in 1947 it was transferred to the State Library and Historical Commission (House Bill 250, 50th Legislature). State Library Records Division personnel were not named until 1952, when an active inventory of the state's permanent records was begun. Formerly housed in the State Highway Building, these records had been dumped in an abandoned dairy barn on the State Hospital grounds, and were transferred in 1952 into rented storage space in south Austin. Legislation by the 59th Legislature in 1965 (Senate Bills 244, 245, and 246) authorized a move--which never occurred--into the new State Finance Building (now known as the LBJ Building); required each state agency to classify and index their records, establish retention schedules, and request destruction of worthless records; established a Records Preservation Advisory Committee; and required the microfilming of essential state records. In 1972, the Records Management Division moved into a new Records Center Building at 4400 Shoal Creek Boulevard. Expansion of that building in 1988 more than doubled the storage space. The number of agencies storing their semi-active records with the Records Management Division has increased from 15 (in 1952) to 39 (in 1976) to 72 (approximately 55% of all state agencies, in 1990). The functions of the Records Management Division of the Texas State Library are to issue policies, guidelines, and standards for the efficient management of the state's public records; to operate the State Records Center for the storage and disposition of noncurrent state records; and to provide microphotographic laboratory services for the preservation of essential vital state records.
These records consist of administrative correspondence and memoranda, mostly from 1975 to 1984, received by or sent from the Texas State Library and Archives Commission's Records Management Division, especially the division director. The correspondence includes items to and from other Texas state agencies, other states, businesses, and private citizens; this correspondence concerns such topics as microfilming, records retention, records destruction, training, maintenance of the State Records Center's physical plant, and so forth. The interoffice memoranda concern mostly routine business such as purchasing, transfers of funds, job postings, job analysis, and policy changes, with an occasional item of greater significance, such as an attorney general opinion, an interagency agreement, or a staff report. Beginning in 1979, the memos are divided into those to "the Library" (i.e., all other divisions of the agency, housed in the building next to the State Capitol), those from the Library, those to and from department managers, and those to and from employees.
To prepare this inventory, the described materials were cursorily reviewed to delineate series, to confirm the accuracy of contents lists, to provide an estimate of dates covered, and to determine record types.
Restrictions on Access
Restrictions on Use
(Identify the item), Correspondence and memoranda, Records Management Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission. Archives and Information Services Division, Texas State Library and Archives Commission.
Accession number: 1991/148
These records were transferred to the Archives and Information Services Division of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission by the Records Management Division of the Texas State Library and Archives Commission on May 6, 1991.
Tony Black, May 1992