Texas A&M University Kingsville, South Texas Archives

St. Theresa Women’s Club Records



Collection Summary

Creator Delpha Moran Barrera
Title St. Theresa Women’s Club Records
Dates: 1949-2000
Abstract: The St. Theresa Women's Club Records contain articles and records reflecting the history of St. Theresa Women's Club organization of founded in 1949. A book titled "50th Anniversary of St. Theresa Women's Club 1949-1999 St. Theresa's Church, Premont, Texas compiled by Delpha Moran Barrera chronicles the history of the club and the church.
Identification A2006-007
Collection URL http://archives.tamuk.edu/ead.php?xml=St%20Theresa%20Womens%20Club%20Records%20EAD
Quantity: 1 linear foot
Location: STAD H-14-1 Box #1
Language: English

Historical Note

St Theresa Women's Club was founded by Fr. Thomas J. Conlon in 1949. The purpose of the organization was to promote Christian living and service in St. Theresa's Church; foster the spiritual development of the women of the Parish; and to provide opportunities for friendship and community spirit through social, cultural, and educational programs and events. The membership is open to all women of St. Theresa's Church in good standing who subscribe to the purpose and goals of the organization. The church was built in 1925 at SW Fourth and Bernice Streets and named St. Theresa by Fr. Peter C. Illigen. From the beginning of the church in Premont, the Canales family was instrumental in providing for its needs. St Theresa became a parish in 1958. The original church and rectory were moved to the corner of Albert and SE Third Streets in March of 1959, in preparation of the construction of a new church. The new and present church was dedicated on December 9, 1959. The old church building was used for Kindergarten and catechism classes. St. Theresa Women's Club has six Coordinating committees: Church Commission, Family Concerns Commission, Community Concerns Commission, International Concerns Commission, Organization Commission and Legislation, and two special Committees: Seminary Burse and Pornography.


Scope and Contents

The formats of documents in the St. Theresa Women's Club Records include financial papers, by-laws, meeting minutes, reports, announcements, correspondence, programs, brochures, newsletters, and yearbooks. Included in the collection is a scrapbook of the Diocesan Council of Catholic Women, Diocese of Corpus Christi, "Diocesan Convention, October 18-19, 1966."


Arrangement

Arranged by subject of documents: By-laws; Finances; Meetings, Correspondence; Programs and Brochures; Newsletters, Newspaper Clippings; Yearbooks; and Scrapbook.

Index Terms

Persons
Conlon, Fr. Thomas J.
Barrera, Delpha Moran
Illigen, Fr. Peter C.
Organizations
St. Theresa of the Infant Jesus Catholic Church, Premont, Texas
St. Theresa's Women's Club
Diocesan Council of Catholic Women
Diocese of Corpus Christi
Geographical Names
Premont (Tex.)
Subjects
Clubs and organizations
Women's groups
Christian life